Police, railway investigate tragedy

Winona police respond to an accident that occurred early Sunday morning on the Huff Street train crossing. The incident resulted in the death of 25-year-old Winona State student veteran Derek Bute. (Photo by Jacob Striker)

Cheney Mason / Winonan

Last Sunday morning a Winona State University student was struck and killed by a moving train while attempting to cross the tracks.

Winona State identified the student as 25-year-old Derek Bute.

The tragic accident devastated the community, as students offered their support and memories of the student veteran. Canadian Pacific Railway spokesman Andy Cummings said, “Our thoughts go out to the family.”

Canadian Pacific said the accident happened at the Huff Street intersection at approximately 1:30 a.m. The train was headed toward Chicago. Although the train crew sounded the horn in warning, contact was still made with Bute.

Canadian Pacific is working in conjunction with Winona Police to investigate the accident, according to the railway company

Police arrived at the scene shortly after the accident, and Bute was taken by ambulance to Winona Health, where he was later pronounced dead.

The Winona Police Department has made no further comments regarding the accident.

Derek Dravis, a Winona State student, was in the parking lot of Sheehan Hall when the accident took place.

“Me and my friends were coming back from a bowling event we attended,” Dravis said. “We were sitting in the car and happened to see the train starting to slow down.

Dravis said he and his friends drove over the tracks nearly a minute before the train went past.

“We were all very shaken Saturday night, and we didn’t get much sleep. We spent the majority of the night up talking about what had happened.” Dravis said.

Winona State has been offering 24/7 counseling and grief support to anyone who may need the services.