Derek Bute: Profile of a devoted student, friend, co-worker

25-year-old exercise science student and veteran Derek Bute was fatally hit by a train Sunday, Jan. 17 on the railroad tracks crossing Huff Street in Winona. (Contributed photo)

Elizabeth Pulanco / Winonan

On the morning of Sunday, Jan. 17, a train fatally hit Derek Michael Bute, 25, as he was walking across the Huff Street intersection near the Winona State University campus. Bute, a Winona State senior and exercise science major from Alden, Minnesota, served overseas in Kuwait as a medic in the National Guard.

Bute was energetic, funny and passionate about helping others.

Senior Carl Schumann, a friend of Bute’s, met him through classes.

“We were taking a competition-based class where the highest score would win and Derek and I would always compete for the top score,” Schumann said. “Instead of separating, we would always study together and see who came out with the best score.”

Bute’s enthusiasm and competitive spirit was not only shown through his studies, but also through his love of spending time with friends.

Schumann recalled an incident where Bute went the extra mile for him to help him during a time of need.

“When I got back from Thanksgiving break, I was locked out of my house and no one else was there to help me out,” Schumann said. “Derek helped me find a ladder to get me in through the window.”

Schumann also mentioned how Bute would often discuss his time in the National Guard.

“When he was talking about his training in Louisiana, he joked about how it was hotter there than when he was serving overseas,” Schumann said.

Along with talking about his experiences with the National Guard, Bute also liked talking about what he was learning as an exercise science major.

“He loved talking about his studies,” Schumann said. “He wanted to tell people about the things he was learning.”

As a friend, Bute was fun and compassionate. He loved spending time outdoors fishing, and hiking in the bluffs. He was always inviting people over to his house to watch movies or play board games.

“He really enjoyed the presence of his friends,” Schumann said.

Bailey Possehl, who became good friends with Bute over the summer, talked about how Bute was fun to be around.

“He was one of those people who could brighten up the mood of the room just by walking in,” Possehl said. “He once showed up to a house party wearing a bow-tie and a suit.”

Bute also talked with Possehl about his time in the National Guard.

Flowers and 25-year-old student veteran Derek Bute’s jacket have been placed at the Huff Street train crossing to honor his memory after he was fatally hit by a train Sunday, Jan. 17. (Photo by Jacob Striker)

“He really took pride in his involvement,” Possehl said.

Bute, who was a natural leader and extremely outgoing, loved being active, especially in the company of his friends.

“If something was a sport, he probably tried playing it,” Possehl said. “He even taught me how to snowboard.”

His caring nature followed Bute in all aspects of his life. While attending Winona State, Bute worked at Legacies LLC, which provides services for adults and children with emotional behavioral disorders, bipolar or traumatic brain injuries.

One of Bute’s co-workers, Joann Johnson, witnessed his love for helping others first hand.

“He was passionate about the kids he worked with and the impact he was making on their lives,” Johnson said. “He loved his job.”

Johnson and Bute had clients within the same family and would sometimes have shifts together. During these shifts, Johnson could see how friendly and optimistic Bute was.

“Even if you only had a few conversations with him, you could tell he enjoyed what he was doing and had big plans and high hopes for the future,” Johnson said.

Bute also incorporated his background as an exercise science major into his work with clients at Legacies LLC.

“If it was a nice day outside, he would want to bring the kids outside and get them active and moving around,” Johnson said.

Bute’s love of staying active could be seen in his schoolwork as well.

Dr. Phil Appicelli, an exercise science professor, taught Bute in class and worked with him last spring during the Young Athlete Training and Development Program, sponsored by the department.

Dr. Appicelli was captivated by Bute’s dedication to his education and his abilities as a role model.

“The kids really looked up to him,” Dr. Appicelli said. “He would challenge them, but still made sure they were having fun.”

While in class, Bute was just as enthusiastic about learning as he was about life.

“He was the complete package that a professor looks for in a student taking their courses,” Dr. Appicelli said. “He worked hard and played hard.”

Bute’s professor and faculty advisor Dr. Erin White also saw how eager and excited Bute was to learn.

Exercise science major Derek Bute (bottom row, far left) and other students majoring in health. Senior Carl Schumann (bottom row, far right) remembers Bute as a supportive friend and classmate. (Contributed photo)

“I first met him in a 200-level class and on the first day, he was ready to go with his notebook open, and was sitting in the front row,” Dr. White said. “He was always ready to participate in class.”

Bute was planning on becoming a physician’s assistant, a career that Dr. Appicelli said he would have been great at doing. Bute was taking additional courses to prepare for an internship or graduate school, according to Dr. White.

For those who knew him, Bute was a generous, talented and energetic young man who loved helping people and dedicated his life to doing so.  As a friend, he was goofy and kind.  As a student, he was dedicated and eager to learn new things. Bute was a member of the Winona State community and had a passion for helping others and he shared this passion with everyone he met.

“He was a good kid that will be missed,” Dr. White said.