Gymnastics falls despite best score of year

Reagan Johnson / Winonan

Despite recording its best team score of the season, the Winona State University gymnastics team dropped its matchup against the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse 189.125-185.375 Friday night in La Crosse.

The Warriors, who defeated the defending national champion Eagles in an exhibition meet in December, posted another winning performance on vault. The Warriors topped La Crosse’s 47.200 with a 47.325, which tied for the fourth best mark in program history.

Senior all-arounder Jade Donaldson led Winona State on vault with 9.625, placing second overall. Senior Emily Goldeman added a score of 9.600. Sophomore Eboni Jackson scored a 9.425 while first-year Natalie Koehler recorded a 9.350 and sophomore Taylor Lewis had a 9.325.

On beam, Jackson took the event title with a 9.473, sophomore Cassidy Kleven scored a 9.325, senior Brooke Hiestand a 9.2, Koehler a 9.150 and sophomore Katie Carling posted a 9.1.

Winona State head coach Beckie Rolbiecki said the team’s beam performance was the biggest step up they had this meet after struggling to stay on the beam earlier in the season.

“I was very proud of them. It was a lot to overcome and it’s a big step towards us being national contenders,” Robiecki said.

Hiestand said the beam performance was a key factor during the meet.

“Every single beam routine hit this week so that was huge deal for us. We know the few things we need to fix and we’ll be more prepared for the completive atmosphere,” Hiestand said.

On the floor routine, Donaldson finished third with a score of 9.625. Carling followed with 9.425, while Jackson recorded a 9.350 and first-year Alyssa Carroll added a 9.225. The Warriors had a season-high score for floor with a 46.575.

On beam, sophomore Katie Pipp led Winona State with a score of 9.375. Carling added a 9.150, Donaldson a 9.075 and Jackson a 9.0.

Rolbiecki said that the team’s goal going into the meet was to score a 185 and they came out with a 185.37.

“It was an amazing meet for us,” Rolbiecki said. “I think the team showed that they have to capability to be a national contender.”

Hiestand said last week’s loss to Gustavus was a good lesson.

“We lost a lot of confidence when we went to Gustavaus and lost but I think that it made us more determined” Hiestand said.

Donaldson said the energy Friday was at a higher level.

“We were focused and excited and had high energy and we were ready to show them what we have as a team this year” said Donaldson.

Winona State will head back to La Crosse Friday to compete in the annual Gersbon Invitational at 6:30 p.m.

At the end of the season, the regional tournament will be held at La Crosse. Rolbiecki said that she’s glad the team has the opportunity to compete at La Crosse again to become more familiar with the environment.

“We’re going back to La Crosse with a lot of confidence,” Rolbiecki said. “It’s all moving in the right direction.”

Donaldson said the process going into each meet is slowly improving.

”I feel that we’re a slow building team this year and that’s probably the best for us so we go into every meet trying to improve our team score,” Donaldson said.