Tech support provides guidance against technology theft

Cheney Mason / Winonan

Students have recently filed complaints about increased laptop and tablet theft around Winona State University’s campus. The university has recognized this growing issue, and tech support has provided some suggestions for keeping possessions from being taken.

“Don’t leave laptops or tablets unattended,” Codie LaVelle at Technical Support Services in Somsen Hall said. “Don’t leave your backpack with your laptop or tablet inside and lock the door to your room to prevent things from being taken.”

LaVelle also said students must file the theft with police. Once they have the police report, Winona State can then begin the process of setting them up with new devices.

“The student goes through a process of searching for where it’s been and the process of replacing it,” LaVelle said.

With an increase in theft, students like Kristi Loomis worry about the safety of her belongings.

“I live in the dorms, and I don’t frequently lock my door. So when I leave my laptop I sometimes worry about it being stolen,” Loomis said.

Student Jessica Kay said she also is bothered about her valuables being stolen.

“I trust people here, but I don’t like to leave my things like my laptop or tablet on it’s own just in case,” Kay said.

Adrian Harmsen, first year student, had his laptop stolen recently, and it started to take a toll on his schoolwork.

“I was looking for my laptop one morning, and I couldn’t find it. I thought I had lost it,” Harmsen said. “I was very frustrated and confused. It was really hard because I had homework I couldn’t do.”

After two days of not finding his laptop, Harmsen became concerned.

“I didn’t know what I should do to find it,” Harmsen said. “It turned out my roommate had taken it. I don’t know what I would have done without it. All my things for school are on my computer. I am just glad it was returned to me.”

To keep laptops, tablets and all personal belongings safe, tech support emphasized in a university-wide email to not to leave items unattended.

If a laptop or tablet has been stolen, follow up with tech support for further information.