Frozen River Film Festival showcases local filmmakers

The Frozen River Film Festival took place in the atrium of the SLC on Saturday, Feb. 27 and Sunday, Feb. 28. Community members, along with students, gathered between movies to check out the different tables set up for the festival. (Photo by Sarah Murray)

Michaela Gaffke / Winonan

The Frozen River Film Festival celebrated its 10th year of film presentations to the community. The Festival is intended to create a discussion among viewers and to promote action on today’s current issues.

From Wednesday, Feb. 24 until Sunday, Feb. 28, the festival showcased local Minnesotan filmmakers, along with filmmakers from different states and around the world. It also included screenings of last year’s Navajo Oral History Project films created by Winona State University students.

The films offer new perspectives on the world in ways many people may have never seen before. The Festival strives to engage and educate citizens of the community.

“[It is] important and inspiring to view stories from around our global community,” Assistant Director of the Frozen River Film Festival Kathy Florin said.

Frozen Friday was held downtown Winona, hosting free events including films, music, art, workshops on filmmaking and more, according to Florin. On Friday at the Page Theater at Saint Mary’s University, speaker Frederick Ndabaramiye showed his film “I AM ABLE.” He also showcased his artwork. Ndabaramiye aims to empower people with disabilities through education, and fights social stigma against disabilities.

On Saturday there were film showings at the Winona 7 Theatre, along with additional film showings, music, food and community booths on Winona State’s campus. The campus events took place in the Science Laboratory Center (SLC). The National Wildlife Refuge System and People First, an organization empowering people with disabilities, were set up in the SLC atrium. Additional events were also set up in the Harriet Johnson Auditorium.

Winona citizen Debbie Cadwell has been attending the Frozen River Film Festival for the last four years with her husband.

“I leave a different person,” she said after viewing the film “Reel in the Closet” on Saturday.

“Reel in the Closet” features old footage from the mid 1900s taken by people in the LGBT community, including footage from demonstrations, news channels, historic events and their everyday lives. The film showed a time when members from the LGBT group were “invisible” and did not have rights.

On Sunday, an award ceremony took place at the History Center. Viewers were able to vote for their favorite film online or in the SLC atrium. During the ceremony, four awards were given, including the Student Award, People’s Choice Award, and first and second place for best films. The Student Award winner was “The Important Places,” directed by Forest Woodward. The People’s Choice Award Winner was “Landfill Harmonic,” directed by Graham Townsley and Brad Allgood. Second place was given to “Almost There,” directed by Dan Rybicky and Aaron Wickenden. First place was given to “East LA Interchange,” directed by Betsy Kalin.

One of the main themes of the Frozen River Film Festival this year pairs up with Winona State’s theme of the year, “Equity as a Human Right: Building Inclusive Community.” The Festival is a yearly event and is offered to students for free.