Baseball picks up four wins over week matchups

Spencer Ellingson / Winonan

The Winona State University baseball team scored 61 runs on their way to four victories in six games throughout the week.

The Warriors split games with Wayne State College on Wednesday afternoon, dropping the first game 15-11.

Winona State went through six pitchers, with sophomore Josh Nielson getting the start. Nielson lasted one inning, after giving up six hits and six earned runs.

Sophomore Joe Kubera was a home run away from hitting for the cycle after getting a triple in the top of the third.

Nielson said the pitching performance was poor in the opener.

“The pitching was not in our first game,” Nielson said. “We need better effort if we want to win games.”

The Warriors turned around and won the nightcap 21-3.

First-year Brett Herber pitched all seven innings, allowing nine hits and three strikeouts.

Junior Jesus Cazares, senior Mitch Voter, senior Tyler Nehring and sophomore Tyler Field each hit two home runs for Winona State.

The Warriors also had two triples and six doubles tallying to 25 hits.

“I was more than impressed with they way the ball was flying off our bats,” head coach Kyle Poock said. “Eight home runs and twenty-one runs; you cannot ask for much more especially after a tough loss in game one.”

Due to weather, the Warriors games which were originally scheduled in Bismarck, N.D. were moved to Loughrey Field in Winona on Sunday and Monday.

The Warriors played a four game series against University of Mary.

The Warriors kept their scoring alive with eleven more runs in their 11-3 win during the first game of a doubleheader Saturday.

Senior Jay Voter had a complete game, only allowing nine hits in 29 at bats.

“They were missing my pitches,” Jay Voter said. “That always brings confidence for myself.”

Both Cazares and senior Mitch Voter hit a home run.

Cazares also hit a triple eventually leading up to his second run of the game.

The Warriors struggled in the second game of the double header, only reaching home once in their 7-1 loss.

“Our bats are either alive or are really poor,” Poock said. “Today they were not there and we paid for it.”

Junior Daniel Karlin-Kamin got the loss after pitching five and a third allowing six runs, five of which were earned on seven hits.

The Warriors were only able to get eight hits and struck out nine times.

On Monday, Winona State was able to pick up two more wins, starting with a 6-2 victory in game one.

Sophomore Mitchell Stalsberg got the win, striking out 11 batters and gave up three hits.

Senior Ryan Nyhagen highlighted the hitting with two extra base hits including a double, a triple and two RBIs.

The Warriors capped off the weekend with an 11-0 shutout in their second game Monday.

Nielson had yet another complete game outing, rounding up two strikeouts and only five hits in 22 batters.

“I felt a lot better than my last start,” Nielson said. “I had more control of the strike zone which is what I need.”

Winona State (13-19, 10-9 NSIC) will stay at home on Wednesday as they play a doubleheader against Augustana University at 1:30 p.m. before traveling to the University of Sioux Falls to play four games.