Men’s golf competes in Oklahoma

Men’s golf competes in Oklahoma

Taylor Price / Winonan

The Winona State University men’s golf team traveled to Muskogee, Okla. this week for the NSU Golf Classic at Muskogee Golf Course. The event began on Monday, Sept. 19 and ended on Tuesday, Sept. 20.

The team played their first two rounds on Monday. They were looking to bounce back after a slow start to their season.

Each team played 36 holes and the Warriors shot a combined 598, finishing in a tie for 15th place after day one.

“Our expectations were so high the first day, but we still managed to shoot the second lowest score last weekend, so we played better and are looking to continue that,” Straight said.

Junior Johnathon Lindquist led the Warriors with a 74 in his first round and 72 in his second to shoot 146 for the day.

Last week in Bemidji, the course they played was tighter and it did not give the team the same sense of comfort that they find at their home course, the Jewel.

“Our freshman seemed a little nervous, but we just need to be way more relaxed if we want to have fun this weekend,” Lindquist said. “We need to show the younger guys that it’s okay to have fun in warm up, the older guys set the tone last year and they had a lot of fun in warm ups.”

Sophomore Michael Schmitz shot a 75 in both rounds to finish at 150 on day one.

Schmitz had a great second day in Bemidji and has gained the confidence of his coach.

“I just tell our guys, go out there and enjoy yourself, we just have to hit it and find it,” Straight said.

Junior Lucas Peterson and first-year student Austin vanSytzama carded a 79 in round one and 72 in round two to shoot 151 for the first day of competition.

First-year student Tyler Beeck finished the day at 157, shooting an 81 in round one and 76 in round two.

The Warriors had previously never played in Muskogee and will be giving their top five a break next week for the Husky Invitational in St. Cloud, Minnesota.

The NSU Golf Classic concluded on Tuesday, Sept. 20.

-By Taylor Price