Student senate discusses university budget deficit, club funds

Sara Tiradossi / Winonan

Winona State University Student Senate President Nicole Zimmerman revealed at a recent senate meeting that the university is currently experiencing $2 million to $3 million budget deficit, which, Zimmerman said is the reason why some projects at Winona State are on hold.

Zimmerman added the deficit is due to decreased enrollment and a tuition freeze “without supplemental funding from the state legislation.”

“They will continue doing work throughout the university that least negatively affects students,” Zimmerman said.

The senate met on Wednesday, Sept. 14 to discuss the budget shortfall, club funds, introduce new directors and talk about pedestrian safety.

The president also welcomed the guest speakers to express their requests, and the following requests and updates were made by clubs and organizations on campus.

Active Minds requested $2,065 to attend a conference in Baltimore, Calif. about changing the conversation on mental health.

The vice president of Active Minds beneficial for the club to learn how to build and grow. The member said the club also wants to make sure there are resources for students who want to reach out on campus and educate them on mental health.

The jazz club requested a maximum of $5,000 dollars to attend a conference in New Orleans, La. Club members said they have made a lot of progress through time, and they will keep hosting events to reach the amount of money needed for the trip, which is roughly $12,000.

The math and stats club requested funding to attend an industry trip in the Twin Cities and a grad school visit, in order to help club members make connections and hear from professionals in math and stats career fields.

A member of UPAC updated the senate of events the club planned that had a great turnout and added there will be even more events, such as the illusionist show and grocery bingo.

Students United, from the inclusion and diversity office, is still in the process of looking for diversity specialist. The member of the club said the person should be interested in cultural diversity, participate at the meetings and be involved.

Both the American Democracy Project, a group dedicated to getting people registered to vote for this election, and Winona State’s fly fishing club, On the Fly, funding requests were approved.

Announcements and introductions were also made at the meeting.

Kate Noelke introduced herself as the new director of the Integrated Wellness Complex, and said she is very excited about her new role.

“…my focus will be student-centered nature of Winona State,” Noelke said. “I am a supporter, a tool and resource for those who want to connect better with the students and the Winona community.”

Benedict Ezeoke was also introduced as the new director of counseling services, and left words of encouragement with the senate.

“The counseling services have excellent professionals who are passionate, and that is the quality we look for in the center,” Ezeoke said. “I encourage all the student body to come forward.”

Ezeoke said the university is currently working on intensifying diversity and multi-cultural aspects on campus. There will soon be programs such as anxiety seminar services, grief groups, group therapy experiences and mental health panels, Ezeoke said.

“We don’t just help you, we give you the skill[s] to help you. That’s what we teach in the seminars,” Ezeoke said.

Student Services Chair and Sen. Jackson Ramsland spoke about new security measures to be taken on campus on how to handle threat. As the representative of the health and wellness services, he also said the blood drive is coming up and he is looking for volunteers to help set up and clean up.

President Nicole Zimmerman talked about the issues discussed last week at a meeting with President Scott Olson and the administration staff.

She added how pedestrian safety has raised a lot of attention recently. The administrative staff is thinking of making a flashing sign on main street where traffic comes in, to make drivers aware of pedestrians walking and also revisit the data the staff received last year from a study to see what other places are dangerous for pedestrians in Winona.

The senate also discussed the implementation of new outdoor study spaces for students, as well as the creation of a community garden.

Zimmerman also discussed the former pharmacy and how it is going to be replaced with a food shelf that will be ready by mid-October or early November.

During the vice president’s report, Vice President Chris Veeder also discussed the fall Student Senate elections that started at the beginning of this week.

-By Sara Tiradossi