Winona State mourns death of student

Samantha Stetzer / Winonan

Winona State mourns the death of student Brandon Allen Rigby, 19.

For the second time this semester, Winona State University is mourning the death of a student, Brandon Allen Rigby, 19.

Rigby, orginally from McHenry, Ill., enrolled in Winona State in the fall of 2015 to study biology and environmental science. Rigby was also part of Full Spectrum, the university’s gender and sexuality alliance.

In a statement sent out to the whole university, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Life Denise McDowell urged the Winona State community to come together and support each other.

“Losing a member of our community is a very difficult thing, and I know Brandon will be missed by many. I encourage you to gently connect with those among us who may be struggling with this loss,” McDowell said. “May we find peace and the strength to endure as we remember Brandon’s life here at WSU.”

The next day, McDowell sent out an email addressing the ambiguity about how Rigby died. Due to state and federal privacy laws, details outside of the personal attributes of Rigby are restricted from being released.

“WSU is authorized to release without written authorization from next of kin is what is known as directory information (name, dates of attendance, address, email, etc.),” McDowell said. “Circumstances surrounding a student’s death, police records, and autopsy reports are not information to which WSU has regular access nor is WSU permitted to release this type of information.”

Further in the email, McDowell cautioned against rumors or prying into the details of a student death.

“I would hope that we endeavor to be mindful of the need to respect the rights and dignity of the individual as well as the rights of his or her family,” McDowell said. “The loss of a young life is always painful, and I hope that we as a community will support one another through this difficult time. Resist the temptation to fill the information gap with speculation and rumors in the absence of facts.”

McDowell and Winona State’s Counseling and Wellness Services also promoted their services as an outlet for students in need of help following this loss. Counseling and Wellness Services is located in the Integrated Wellness Complex room 222. Walk-in services and appointments by calling 507-457-5330 are available.

-By Samantha Stetzer