The Winonan

How does Winona State celebrate MLK day?

Ren Gennerman, Copy Editor

January 22, 2020

To most at Winona State University, the celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day is marked with altered dining hour times and no classes. However, some at the university claim they participate in events that honor the civil ...

Winona State looks for sustainability

McKenna Scherer, Features Reporter

January 22, 2020

As Winona County made strides to better its existing sustainability efforts in 2019, Winona State University came into 2020 with new sustainability plans of its own. Nathan Engstrom, Winona State University sustainability direc...

Alumna creates TV series to boost small businesses

Kellen Brandt, Features Reporter

December 4, 2019

Winona  State University alumna Amanda Brinkman has produced a new TV series focused on helping renovate small businesses and main streets. Brinkman graduated from Winona State University in 2000 with a Bachelor of Arts in ...

“Sneakerheads”: an examination of sneaker culture

Maurice Hudson, Sports Reporter

December 4, 2019

"Just one more pair,” is the common saying for many people in the sneaker community. An addict is defined as an enthusiastic devotee of a specified thing or activity. Addiction within the sneaker community is a phenomenom. It...

Anholzer honored for art contributions

Ren Gennerman, Copy Editor

December 4, 2019

Winona State University student Maria Anholzer was one of four 2019 grant recipients for the Winona Fine Arts Commission. According to a Nov. 8, 2019 press release from the arts and culture coordinator’s office in Winona, the purpose o...

Winona Arts Center debates construction and Holidaze

Kristin Kovalsky, News Reporter

December 4, 2019

Saturday Nov. 30 the Winona Arts Center hosted the Holidaze event. The event was free and open to the public from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. At the event, community members were able to make monoprint holiday cards and prints using the...

Squirrels display no fear to campus ongoers

Austin Wallert, Sport Reporter

December 4, 2019

One-two, one-two, one-two, I count my steps as I avoid the dreaded sidewalk cracks, sparing my mom’s back for another day. One-two, one-two, one t- I look up from my normal routine, and there, standing in my way, is a squirr...

The Winona State University Student Newspaper
Community