“Speech and Debate” explores adolescence

(Left to right) Conlan Carter, Lilly Roe, and Erik Larson practiced a dance routine during a rehearsal for Speech & Debate.
Brad Farrell/Winonan

Julia Sand/Winonan

Winona State University’s Department of Theatre and Dance invite students and public to laugh and relate to their debut of an “uproariously funny,” according to one cast member, dark comedy, “Speech and Debate.”

“Speech and Debate,” written by Steven Karam, centers around three high school students’ lonely lives and hidden secrets, said director Heather Williams.

Conlan Carter, who plays main character Howie, said the characters are all “loners” for their own reasons, all carrying a darker burden and dealing with it in strange ways of black mailing each other.

“There are a lot of humorous moments, but the reason it’s called a dark comedy is because the issues that the characters are dealing with are very serious issues,” Williams said.

Carter said the characters’ perspectives and their comments on each other’s issues make it “uproariously funny.”

Williams said the play addresses topics such as abortion and bullying, specifically with sexual orientation.

It also contains adult language; for these reasons, it is for a mature audience.

Carter explained that it is by the students’ trickery to each other, as well as all three joining a speech and debate team (hence, the title) that they, in the end, grow closer together, even if they won’t admit they are friends.

“It’s a love-hate thing, but mostly hate in the beginning,” Carter said.

Carter said what he appreciates about Speech and Debate is how much students can relate to the play.

“Steven [the playwright] has amazing ability to turn something so serious into something so relatable, and it almost feels good at the end,” Carter said.

Williams and Carter both agreed they can’t help but to cheer on the three friendless foes.

“It’ll draw you in with its scandal, drama and negativity, keeps you there with realism, and wins you over with compassion and unity,” Carter said.

Along with scandal, realism and compassion, Williams said there is some singing, but it is certainly not a musical. It is “in your room singing” Carter said.

Holly Anderson, Assistant Stage Manager, said watching the play come together is a journey in itself.

“You watch these characters form into what they are going to be… just hearing them develop, it’s fun,” Anderson said.

The venue of this play is different from other plays Williams has directed.

Unlike proscenium stages, such as Main Stage in the Performing Arts Center, Dorothy B. Magnus Black Box Theatre is surrounded by audience members on all three sides of the stage.

Williams said it creates a different kind of challenge because actors must make “sure they are working throughout the space so that all audiences can see them.”

With the challenge, however, comes a reward.

“It makes it look so much more real… Makes you uncomfortable when it has to, up in your face, making you laugh,” Carter said.

Williams said the theatre only holds 100 seats, so getting tickets early is necessary.

Speech and Debate will run for two weekends: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29- Saturday, Dec. 1 and Thursday, Dec. 6-

Saturday, Dec. 8. Tickets are $6 with student ID and $10 to public.

Contact Julia at [email protected]