OERC sees 2,000 participate in first semester

The snow on the trees served as a reminder of the opportunities in winter recreation.

Suzan Muhanna/Winonan

In the first semester of its existence at Winona State University, the Outdoor Education and Recreation Center, or OERC, saw over 2,000 students and community members participate in its programs.

Eric Barnard, OERC coordinator, said a recent survey reported that 96 percent of Winona State students enjoy being outdoors. The OERC exists to provide safe activities and support that will enable students to get outside—both physically and mentally.

The OERC welcomes both the experienced and the inexperienced. Barnard said he’s inspired by students who are willing to step out of their comfort zones. “I have had students who show up not knowing anyone, but end up meeting new people,” Barnard said.

Jordan Yankowiak, a graduate assistant at the OERC, also said he enjoys “breaking limits” and seeing students explore what they can do.

When students get active and involved on campus, “there is a much lower dropout rate,” Barnard said.

The OERC offers a wide range of activities such as rock climbing, camping, kayaking, backpacking, and snow shoeing.

This winter, the center is offering a discounted rate for indoor climbing at Prairie Walls in Rochester.

Weekend trips and destination trips are a big part of OERC’s goal to get everyone involved with what nature has to offer and connected with new people. Over winter break, the center led a rock climbing trip to Arkansas. This spring, the OERC is leading a trip to Moab, Utah for rock climbing, backpacking, and mountain biking.

The program welcomes students, staff members, and even the entire community of Winona. During the summer, the center will be available as a guide service for outdoor activities in the Winona area.

Information about the OERC is always posted in the WELL, located in the Integrated Wellness Complex Room 138.

Contact Suzan at [email protected]