Dining services seeks customer satisfaction

The cafeteria staff stopped to pose for a picture in between meals.Erin Cochran/Winonan
The cafeteria staff stopped to pose for a picture in between meals.
Erin Cochran/Winonan

Oksana Carlier/Winonan

More and more students are using meal plans at Winona State University, reported the director of dining services, Bruce Bechtle.

2200 students are on a regular meal plan this year, and last week, “Sunday through Thursday over 13,000 meals were served in Lourdes and Jack Kane Dining Centers,”  Bechtle, said.

Several updates have occurred in the food service area of Kryzsko Commons. According to Joe Reed, student union director, new and brighter lights have been put up in the Smaug in order to give it a cleaner look.

Reed also mentioned that the loading dock and some walk-in freezers in the back rooms of Kryzsko have been renovated this year.

“Perform,” located at the concession window in the Integrated Wellness Complex, is the latest update, said Chad Johnson, dining services retail manager. Perform offers a variety of healthy food choices, Johnson said.

Correspondingly, Bechtle said healthy options are being expanded in the Jack Kane Dining Center. “New brewed tea and enhanced waters are being tried at Jack Kane on the west beverage station,” he said.

Bechtle said there are new options in the Smaug as well. “Limited time offers are changing all the time in the Smaug. Each location usually has a special item that changes each month to keep it fresh and new.”

Reed said he would like to see the dining center open longer in the evenings. “I thought it was important that we expanded the hours a couple of years ago. Before they closed at 7 p.m.,” he said. A later closing time would allow students to eat later when they have late classes or sports practice.

Another new program, implemented last spring, is reusable takeout containers. Reed said the transition has been smooth. “I’ve heard nothing but good things,” he said. “I think they are convenient.”

Pixie Klein, a food service worker, said “I think it’s a wonderful program.” She said the plastic containers are sturdier and hold heat better than the paper containers that were used in the past.

“I think the food service here is great, and what’s more exciting is that everyday someone comes up with something new to make it better,” Bechtle said.

Student comments are taken into consideration at weekly meetings with residence hall leaders and dining services staff.

The other way that dining services staff communicate with students is through their Facebook page, WSU Dining Services and through their website, www.dineoncampus.com/winona, Johnson said.

Bechtle said personnel is an important part of effective food service. “We have a really solid team here that is truly concerned about the customer experience and really wants to make dining an integral part of campus life. They understand the limitations but always want to push the edge of the envelope for something new and better for students.”

Contact Oksana at [email protected]