Healthy Monday promotes student storytelling

Leah Perri/Winonan

From Facebook pages such as the “Winona State University Cupid” and “WSU Confessions,” it is evident that students are looking for ways to express themselves and share their personal stories with people willing to listen.

At last week’s Healthy Monday at the Integrated Wellness Complex, graduate student Shawnessy Mohawk presented “The Art of Storytelling,” a program focusing on the benefits of sharing one’s personal experiences with others.

Mohawk, who has been researching this topic as her independent study, believes there is a significant connection between storytelling and well-being.

“One of the most important things we can gain from storytelling is the sense of connectedness to others within our community,” Mohawk said. “At Winona State, we have students from a variety of different backgrounds and experiences that we can learn from.”

Starting off with a quick warm-up activity, students were asked to share their most vivid memory from that morning.

After everyone had taken turns, Mohawk was quick to point out that many students had similar experiences, such as running late to class that morning.

Although we are all very different, we are able to sympathize and relate to one another with these shared experiences, Mohawk said.

Students were asked to think of their most memorable college experience in small groups.

After conversing for 20 minutes or so, students were given the opportunity to share their stories with the larger group.

Interestingly enough, a lot of people told stories of hardship, versus happier stories.

“A lot of people would rather share their negative stories because they have had the most impact on them,” Mohawk said. “When you start sharing a story that you have an emotional connection to, you are able to share that burden with people.”

According to Mohawk, sharing our stories not only allows an emotional release, but it also helps put our lives into perspective.

By engaging in storytelling, we are able to learn about those around us, as well as learn a bit more about ourselves, too.

“Tellers and listeners are equal partners in the storytelling process,” Mohawk said.

After engaging in a large group discussion on the benefits of storytelling, students had the opportunity to brainstorm organizing some sort of Winona State storytelling event.

Students decided the intimacy of a coffeehouse atmosphere would be most ideal for this kind of event. It was also suggested that the discussion center around a particular message or theme.

“A Winona State storytelling event [would] provide students with a chance to learn and connect with other students,” Mohawk said.

“It would create a greater sense of community as a whole and promote healthy behavior change.”

Although an event is not formerly being organized yet, be on the lookout for one coming to Winona State next year.

In the meantime, students are encouraged to check out national storytelling events such as the “Moth Series” and other programs – and of course, keep the art of storytelling alive.

Contact Leah at [email protected]