Wellness Wednesday: alcohol and the community

Molly O’Connor/Winonan

On April 17, Winona State University’s Integrated Wellness Center showcased a film series on the ties between the Winona community, college students and alcohol.

Health advocates Alicia, Alyssa and Janelle gathered the group to discuss student opinions on the topics presented in the videos.

To introduce the topic of alcohol in the community, Janelle asked the group various questions regarding the Winona State stereotype of college students who drink.

She then asked how the community reacts to these college students and how their presence affects the residents of the surrounding neighborhoods.

The general consensus of the group was that there is a bit of a stereotype in the community regarding alcohol and partying.

“But it’s not just WSU,” one student said. “I think every college has a perceived notion of what you’re supposed to do when you get to college. And that notion is to drink.”

The first video showed Sheba, an employee of Tatu Royale (now Third Eye Tatu) in downtown Winona, giving a testimonial of how the drunken college students affect the downtown businesses and the area as a whole.

She discussed how the “plague of drunken college students” during homecoming week can make business at the tattoo shop suffer, since the artists are not allowed to assist anyone under the influence.

Sheba also went on to explain that the students’ garbage, dried blood and vomit have made the area unappealing.

“To have that there in the morning when families are out walking around downtown, it’s horrible,” Sheba said.

“It’s important that there’s a group of volunteers to spruce up the community to show that not everybody drinks and makes a mess,” advocate Janelle said.

The second video gave more testimonials from residents in the surrounding neighborhoods of Winona State who have had to deal with theft and vandalism from drunken students. Examples of the different acts of theft and included destruction of fences, missing lawn chairs and attempted breaking and entering into houses.

The group came together again after the video to discuss ways in which students can develop better relationships with their neighbors off campus, such as getting involved in community activities or even just introducing themselves to their neighbors to make a good first impression.

The final video of the film series was an interview of older community members who had been residing in the Winona area for many years.

“Students should realize neighborhoods around WSU are not college neighborhoods, but residential neighborhoods,” the interviewee said.

Janelle urged the group to give their relationship with the community some thought.

“We need to be mindful and respectful to the older community members who seem to be less forgiving when it comes to students who have been drinking,” she said.

Contact Molly at [email protected]