Feeling all right? Health Services is there to help

Sami Schwanke/Winonan

No matter the year, the rule remains the same: students need to be well to do well.

That’s why freshmen and seniors alike need to know about the services offered at Winona State University Health Services.

Health Services functions as a full service clinic.  There are many services available, including a physician, a full-service lab, nurse practitioners, RNs, a gender based violence sexual assault nurse examiner, the Ask-a-Nurse hotline and an insurance coordinator.

Health Services also includes counselors, a health promotion team, alcohol awareness and a Student Health and Wellness Advocates Club (SHAC) for students.

According to Health and Wellness Services Director Connie Kamara, there are plenty of reasons students may find themselves at Health Services.

“We get a lot of upper respiratory ailments, women’s health, STD testing and anxiety or depression,” Kamara said.
Kamara also said she wished students knew how lucky they were to have these resources.

“I don’t think students realize how great the Health and Wellness Services is,” she said.

“The variety and prices are unbeatable.  We have the lowest costs in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) system.  It’s only $10 here to be seen, as compared to Moorhead where it’s $100.  And we’re the cheapest in the local area as well.”

Winona State Health Services accepts all forms of insurance and MnSCU will even provide a student with health insurance if needed.

Many students come in with little information on their insurance policies.

“Most students don’t understand their health insurance. Many students are unsure if their parents cover them or if they’re even covered at all,” Kamara said.

Luckily, the insurance coordinator can help students figure it all out.

For students looking for more information on wellness, Health Services puts on Healthy Mondays and Wellness Wednesdays events in the Integrated Wellness Complex (IWC).

These events are inspired, run by students and based on Winona State’s seven dimensions of wellness: intellectual, spiritual, emotional, environmental, social, occupational and physical.

Both events take place at 7 p.m. on Mondays, and 3 p.m. on Wednesdays in “The WELL,” IWC Room 138.

Other health promotion resources for students are the “WellZine,” Winona State’s e-magazine, and Fit Stop self-assessment programs.

Mental and emotional wellness is just as much a part of Winona State Health Services’ commitment to students’ needs.
Students who are stressed and need someone besides their advisors or roommates to talk to can make an appointment with a counselor.

There is also a new club on campus called Active Minds.

Promoting mental health and getting rid of the social stigma of talking about depression and other anxiety disorders are the club’s primary goals.

However, students can only get the full value out of these services if they use them to their fullest potential.

Winona State Health Services is focused on student feedback. Kamara said Winona State used to have a free dietician on campus, but because students didn’t utilize the resource, it is now no longer available.

Also, making full use of these services is a good step toward a balanced life and a successful school year.

“Students need to focus on balancing their health to stay focused in school and do better in life in general,” said Kamara.

Contact Sami at [email protected]