Family Weekend reunites families and WSU students

REAGAN JOHNSON
REAGAN JOHNSON

Reagan Johnson/Winonan

Sept. 21 and 22 was Family Weekend at Winona State University. Families were welcomed to join in on many activities on campus and around the Winona community.

On Friday, a Wellness Fair held in the Integrated Wellness Center and Midwest Dueling Pianos provided evening entertainment for students and families.

On Saturday, Winona State Student Health & Wellness Advocates hosted their third annual 5k “Run for the WELL of it” run/walk on East Lake, Winona. Proceeds went towards student health and wellness activities.

The 30th Annual Winona State Foundation Scholarship Recognition Breakfast was held for scholarship students in McCown Fieldhouse. Those who were not headed to the scholarship breakfast could enjoy a continental breakfast in Kryzsko Commons where student photographers were also offering family portraits.

It was also “College Day” at the Winona Farmers Market. Live music entertained shoppers, and specials were given to college students.

Sophomore Kayleen Gregus and her parents, JoEllen and Mike, enjoyed the market before heading to the football game. It was the first time they had visited their daughter since summer.

“We were excited to come see her. We missed her,” Gregus’s mom said.

While some families went to the football game, others hiked their way up to Garvin Heights.

On top of Garvin Heights, resident assistants provided treats for families to enjoy along with the view. They served doughnut holes and cookies from Bloedow’s Bakery and root beer from Lakeview Drive Inn.

In addition to hiking, families could choose to go rock climbing on Sugarloaf, supplies and help provided by Winona State Outdoor Education and Recreation Center.

Shawn Held, mother of a Winona State student, had her first rock climbing experience on Saturday with her son and his group of friends.

Trolley rides around Winona were offered throughout Saturday afternoon. “The Norman Magic Experience” put on a show in the Harriet Johnson Auditorium for family entertainment.

Contact Reagan at [email protected]