Generosity running through their veins

Exercise Science student Brandon Hickman donates blood on campus. SARAH PICKAR
Exercise Science student Brandon Hickman donates blood on campus.
SARAH PICKAR

Elizabeth Pulanco/Winonan

Donating blood makes many people nervous, but for some Winona State University students, a pint of blood is a small sacrifice.

This week, the Red Cross set up several donating stations inside East Hall in Kryzsko Commons, where many flocked to volunteer and give blood.

According to Winona State freshman Rachel Scott, who volunteered at the event, there were 10 people donating every 15 minutes.

“There are 181 donations scheduled for today,” she said.

The donators were a mixture of first-timers and veterans.

“This is my first time giving blood,” freshman Jordan Dorn said. “I’ve tried donating before, but I was denied.”

Even so, Dorn is no stranger to donation.

“I’ve given plasma before,” he said.

Some of the people that have previously donated have made giving blood a part of their routine, such as sophomore Melissa Rommels, who gives whenever the Red Cross has donations.

“It is kind of a tradition, and it is nice knowing that we are saving lives,” Rommels said.

Many other students were taking part in this blood donating tradition as well.

The waiting area for people anticipating their donations was full, and nearly all of the stations were as well.

According to participants, much of the success of the on-campus blood drives is because of the efficient work of the doctors and volunteers.

Junior Bradley Huser had good things to say about those running last week’s event.

“I’ve been giving blood for two years, and I like how smoothly everything goes,” Huser said. “The volunteers are nice, and they always make sure you are comfortable.”

The feeling of generosity, according to Scott, is a big part of the popularity of donating blood.

“It makes people feel good for helping people.” Scott said.

Some participants made their appointments double donations, which allows a person to donate two units of red blood cells in one sitting.

A pump assists with the blood collection.

After the pump collects the red cells, it returns the plasma and platelets to the patient.

The main benefit of double donations is that it provides twice as much blood per donor, and it also leaves the patient feeling refreshed after the plasma and platelets are returned to the body.

Since the double donations do take 30 minutes longer and have stricter height and weight requirements, single blood donations are more popular.

The blood drive began last Wednesday, proceeded through Halloween and ended with the Red Cross driving off with the last of the donations on Friday.

Contact Elizabeth at [email protected]