Track and field wins 11 events, posting team title

TJ Leverentz/Winonan

The Winona State track and field team began the 2014 leg of their season Jan. 18 at St. Mary’s University.

The Warriors saw an athlete take first place honors in 11 out of the 13 events they competed in. That effort was good enough to earn the Warriors a first place finish as they racked up 186 points—125 ahead of second-place Viterbo.

The Warriors took 54 out of their 168 points in the 55, 200 and 400-meter. Winona State also was able to sweep the 55-meter. Catherine Whitcomb won both the 55 and 200-meter with times of 7.58 and 26.21 respectively. Taylor Vogel’s time of 1:00.70 won her first place honors in the 400-meter.

Thirty-one of the Warriors 186 points were taken in the long distance runs, where Warrior runners Katie Bagley and Tiffany Sunderland took first in their respective runs.

Bagley posted a time of 1:38.80 to take the 600-meter and Sunderland’s time of 2:32.47 earned her first place honors in the 800-meter.

The Warriors were able to wrack up seven more points in the running portion thanks to Hannah Mueller, who won the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.54.

“It was great seeing hard work paying off and seeing my teammates have success in the early going,” Whitcomb said.

94 of the remaining Warrior points came in field events, where the Warriors saw five first-place finishes.

Winona State was able to take 19 points in the long jump, led by Mueller, whose distance of 5.69 meters earned her seven points and first place honors.

Freshman Andrea Bartz led the way for the Warriors with her first place finish in the triple jump, where she totaled a distance of 11.14 meters.

Senior Elisa Kupferschmid posted a distance of 16.92 meters to take the shot put event, and junior Paige Garriga posted a distance of 12.80 meters, propelling her to take the weighted throw event.

The Warriors’ season began with a 13-week training period in the fall, leading up to their Dec. 7 meet in Mankato. Following the Mankato meet, the Warriors entered a 30-day break due to a combination of finals week and holidays.

Head coach Mason Rebarchek said over break, it’s up to the Warriors to find places near where they’re staying to complete the workouts they were provided.

The Warriors entered the season ranked 25th in an NSIC that contains three other ranked teams, with Wayne State being the highest at 17.

The Warriors have carried 34 freshmen on the roster thus far. “Going from a short high school season to the length of a college season and the intensity difference takes a little bit of getting used to for everybody,” Rebarchek said.

“It’s a real transition year for us,” Rebarchek said. “But we have a huge group of talented freshmen.”

The schedule begins to pick up for the Warriors as they have eight meets over the next three weeks. The Warriors will compete in the St. Thomas Invitational Jan. 24 in St. Paul and the Jack Johnson Invitational Jan. 24-25 in Minneapolis.

Contact TJ at [email protected]