Single on Valentine’s Day?

ALICIA ALVERSON
ALICIA ALVERSON

Elizabeth Pulanco/Winonan

It’s that time of year again: the time of red roses and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates. Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but for those without a valentine, what is there to look forward to?

One thing singles can look forward to is keeping their hard-earned money inside of their wallets. According to the National Retail Federation, the average person dropped an average of $130.97 for Valentine’s Day-related expenses in 2013.

At Winona State University, a few students have some nontraditional celebrations to look forward to as well.

Freshman Noreen Jay will be celebrating another thing entirely.

“It’s my birthday, so I’ll be going out to dinner with my friends,” Jay said.

Many students agreed even if a person may be single, there is no problem with spending Valentine’s Day with friends or even family. Freshman Mackenzie Veselik, Valentine’s Day will be a family affair.

“My mom and her fiancé are finally going to the courthouse and getting married,” Veselik said. “After, we’re all going to my uncle’s cabin and going ice fishing to celebrate.”

Besides spending Valentine’s Day with people they care about, another thing many singles do in order to get the best out of their Valentine’s Day is travel—like freshman Kari Middendorf.

“I’ll be going to Chicago,” Middendorf said. “We’ll be going to art museums as well as the Chicago Auto Show.”

Middendorf is an art major, so her time in Chicago will also be a benefit to her studies.

There is really no limit to what singles can do on Valentine’s Day to get a little more love out of the holiday.

One common suggestion is volunteering. Giving back to the community allows many people to feel connected to the people around them and good about themselves.

Another suggestion is working out. During exercise, the body releases endorphins, which can reduce stress and boost self-esteem, which is perfect for those who are feeling lonely or down on their luck.

Of course, a person can always treat themselves with those red roses and heart-shaped boxes of chocolates.

For many Winona State students, Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love, whether it is for a significant other, for friends, for family or even just for themselves.