Orientation program accepts applications for fall 2014

Victoria McKenzie/Winonan

In a bustle, trying to find a location in an unknown area, already running late and shaking with nerves, new freshmen often find themselves looking among unknown faces trying to decide whom to ask for help. Winona State University strives to provide freshmen with familiar faces right away upon arrival of college, giving them orientation leaders to guide them.

The orientation program is designed to ease the transition students experience as freshmen. One key component is the student leaders of the program guiding the new students.

Wayne Wicka, the orientation program coordinator, said orientation leaders serve as peer role models to help freshmen with the “academic and social transition to Winona State University.”

Wicka said the selection process of orientation leaders is a very competitive process. The hiring committee looks for students from a variety of majors who are engaged in campus activities and are knowledgeable and passionate about Winona State.

As the program coordinator, Wicka selects orientation leaders and prepares them for “making [Winona State] a second home” to the incoming freshmen.

Chris Wehr, a current freshman and orientation leader applicant, said, “The most important part of being an orientation leader is getting everyone involved, and with this over time they will feel welcomed.”

Hearing of people who have had bad experiences with the orientation process motivated Wehr to apply for a position as an orientation leader.

He said he had friends whose orientation leaders talked to only a portion of the class, making others feel unwelcome.

He hopes to help everyone feel welcome and get them involved, since that is what helped ease the transition for himself during his orientation experience.

On the other end of the spectrum, Jacob Trione became an orientation leader because of the wonderful experience with his leader as a freshman. He recalls his orientation leader always “remembering all of us, talking to us and giving good advice.”

Trione, a junior psychology major, recently completed his second year as an orientation leader. He enjoyed the experience, especially seeing students making connections with each other and getting involved on campus.

The hardest part for Trione, who felt almost a parental connection with his students, was letting go of the students and hoping that he had done all he could to help them succeed. Being unable to continue as a leader for a third year due to a summer job is his only regret.

Trione said in his opinion there is not a specific type of person to be an orientation leader, as long as the leaders enjoy their job and “genuinely want to be there to see the freshmen flourish” from the experience.

He advises that leaders be willing to take risks and act crazy.

The program strives to be a beneficial experience for both freshmen and older peers who choose to welcome the new students to campus and be leaders whom freshman can look up to.

Applications are due March 7.