Study says cost of college pays off

Elizabeth Pulanco/Winonan

In a recent survey done by Pew Research, it was found that the college graduates are making around $17,500 more than their peers that are just working with high school diplomas.

The survey also reported that the unemployment rate of college graduates is much lower than that of high school graduates.

Even though investing in a college education is no small expense, some students, like freshman Kari Middendorf, expected similar results.

“Even though there is quite a difference, the fact that college graduates are making more money doesn’t really surprise me,” Middendorf said.

Based on the results of the survey, there are actually jobs waiting for college graduates. But the question is: what jobs are they?

An important part of a job search for college graduates is how the jobs in question connect with what that they studied in college. Sixty percent of science and engineering majors who took the survey said their current job is very closely related to their major.

Forty-three percent of social science, liberal arts and education majors could say the same thing.
At Winona State University, some students are already applying their knowledge to what jobs they could be searching for. Anna Bestul, a freshman clinical laboratory science major, is already looking ahead to a career in her major.

“I hope to work in a research lab in a clinic and work with viruses,” Bestul said.
Other students, like special education major Maddie Loomis, have more general plans for the jobs they want after graduation.

“I hope to find a good job teaching somewhere,” Loomis said.

Some, like cell and molecular biology major Noreen Jay, are planning on going right back to class.

“After graduating I plan on going to vet school,” Jay said.

According to the study, the gap between degrees has been growing. The previous generation’s college graduates were still making more than people without diplomas, but it was by $15,830.

That being said, it’s necessary to take into account the rising cost of college tuition.

The average cost for college tuition for out-of-state residents at public universities is $22,203. The impact of student loans is also a factor in choosing whether to go to college or not. According to CNN, the average student loan debt for students is $29,400.

Still, some would say the price is worth it for the chance to do what they love. Thirty-seven percent of the people that were surveyed with just their high school diplomas are satisfied with their jobs, while fifty-three percent of college graduates are satisfied with theirs.

The people without their degrees described their jobs as occupations that they have just to “get by,” while college graduates find themselves invested in full-fledged, satisfying careers.

The price is steep, but students, like freshman Kate Bonner, are looking at the future as the time to cash in.

“At the moment, the cost of school may seem like a lot, but in the long run it is worth it,” Bonner said.