Smokey Joe’s Cafe rocks the house

Leah Perri/Winonan

The Winona State University concert choir rocked the house Saturday night, February 22 in Somsen Hall with Smokey Joe’s Cafe—a unique theatre show featuring rock n’ roll music, singing, dancing and a delicious array of gourmet desserts.

The event was directed by Harry and Lauren Mechell, who have been co-directing the Renaissance Madrigal Banquets and Dessert Musical Theatre shows together on campus for 15 years.

Smokey Joe’s Cafe was a revue-style musical inspired by 1950s songwriters Leiber and Stoller, whose songs are often regarded as the “classics” of rock ‘n’ roll.

The show was split into two acts, showcasing thirty of Leiber and Stoller’s most popular songs.

The first act featured beloved songs such as “Dance With Me,” “Kansas City,” “Trouble,” “Poison Ivy” and “On Broadway.” The second act featured even more hit singles, including “Yakety Yak,” “Charlie Brown,” “Hound Dog,” “Love Potion Number Nine,” “Jailhouse Rock” and “Stand by Me.”

The Winona State concert choir cast showcased their talent and had a little fun as they performed these hit songs in solo numbers, pairings and large groups.

The show also featured a fabulous set and lighting design and a professional pit orchestra. Jenn Baechle organized the staging and choreography and Randy Shadle, executive chef of Chartwells Dining, executed the dessert menu.

This year’s menu featured mini caramel apples, assorted petit fours, baby button cookies, mini cream puffs and chocolate caramel shortbread bars with sea salt. Audience members were able to sample all five of the desserts during the show’s intermission along with a glass of sparkling punch or hot coffee.

Students were able to attend the show for $12, while community members paid $25, the dessert included.
In past years, many students have complained about the price of the event, claiming it is too expensive.

However, according to co-director Lauren Mechell, for a “unique” university production and five different gourmet desserts and delicious beverages, the show is well worth the price.

“WSU students [actually] get a huge break on the ticket price,” Mechell said. “[Our] objective every year is to break even and make sure the budget is balanced.”

According to Mechell, producing an event like this costs a lot more than many students realize.
The money is used to cover a multitude of things: copyrights to present the show, hired instrumentalists and audio technicians, costume rentals, prop purchases, makeup and set materials, and publicity costs including program printing—not to mention the catering services and desserts.

Olivia Wulf, a senior member of the cast, said she wished the price could have been lower in order to encourage attendance.

“The event is very expensive, and I hope that next year we’ll be able to figure out a way to make the performance more accessible to college students,” she said.

Another student choir member, Sarah Sperber, said the price of the event was rightfully set.

“It is a bit pricey, but you’re supporting the WSU choir,” she said. “We worked really hard on [this] and put in a lot of hours. You get to enjoy great desserts and music, plus it’s a lot of fun.”

Despite the disagreements on the event pricing, one thing production cast members all seemed to agree on was the success of this year’s show. The event sold over 200 tickets this year and had high attendance in spite of inclement weather.

Senior choir member Vance Dahl, who has been involved with these productions for three years, reflected on the great turnout of the night.

“The show was so much fun,” he said. “There was a lot of energy and hootin’ and hollerin’ from the audience.”
Mechell was also pleased with this year’s production, particularly the teamwork and collaboration demonstrated by cast and crewmembers.

“The best part of this type of event is the building of a sense of community within the cast members and the sharing of this spirit of cooperation with others on campus,” Mechell said. “We enjoy presenting these musical presentations very much and look forward to co-directing many more on the WSU campus.”