Volleyball rounds out tournament 4-0

Dillon Hogan/ Winonan

The Winona State University women’s volleyball team traveled to Houghton, Mich. to participate in the Keweenaw Classic their opening week.

The Warriors have been practicing for weeks under the direction of a new head coach, Joe Getzin.

Senior Kathleen Omelina said, “Coach Joe comes into the gym everyday and pushes us. His 30-plus years of coaching at a high level really shows through in his practices.”

Omelina said this year the team will be moving in a different, yet positive, direction.

“We lost six key members of our squad and with a coaching change, it is no surprise that we are in a year of change. Looking at the progress thus far I would say it is in a positive direction,” Omelina said. “I am looking forward to finally showing all the positive energy we have all put into the program thus far and get some Warrior wins.”

The season opener against the University of Wisconsin-Parkside set the tone for the entirety of the tournament as the Warriors won their first of four games during the weekend.

A trio of Warrior freshman dropped the first game 25-22, but bounced back to win the next three sets 25-12, 25-20 and 27-25.

Freshman McKenna Larsen gave the Warriors opportunities with a match high 43 assists and 12 digs. Freshman Danielle Rampart also contributed 21 kills and 12 digs in the match to record her first career double-double. Rounding out the freshman trio was Taylor Goar who recorded the third team double-double with 14 kills and 12 digs.

Senior Paige Garriga also posted 13 kills and a .391 hitting percentage.

The Warriors’ second match of the day resulted in another win, this time against Lake Superior State University.

Still on a roll from their first match victory, Winona State posted three straight set wins against the Lakers by scores of 25-16, 25-17 and 25-14.

Rampart had another double-double with a 15-kill and 10-dig performance while Larsen had 24 assists. As a team the Warriors posted a .253 hitting percentage while the defense held the Lakers to a .035 percentage.

On the second day of the tournament, the Warriors continued their winning streak.

The first match of the day was against the host school, Michigan Tech and resulted in another sweep for the Warriors by scores of 25-20, 25-19 and 25-12.

As a team, the Warriors hit .309 while holding Michigan Tech to just .112 percent.

In the final match of the day and the tournament, the Warriors notched another victory.

The Warriors won their final match against Northern Michigan 3-1. Winona State ended the tournament with a perfect 4-0 record.

Next for the Warriors is another road trip, on Friday, Sept. 12. against Quincy University and on Saturday, Sept. 13 against Lewis University in Quincy, Ill.

The Warriors will begin their NSIC play and home opener simultaneously against Upper Iowa University at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 16 in McCown Gymnasium.