Students prove their knowledge of sex education with trivia

Samantha Beck/ Winonan

Students played a “Good in Bed: Prove it Sexy Trivia” to prove the importance of sex education and also to improve their own understanding of sexual health and contraception.

Every Monday night, Winona State University’s Health and Wellness Services host a Healthy Monday workshop to improve students’ understanding of health issues, raise awareness of these issues and give tips and advice. The Student Health Awareness Group presented the recent “Good in Bed” event.

Last Monday, a room in the Integrated Wellness Complex was filled with chairs and students waiting for the presenter to begin. Ali Mueller, an employee at Semcac Family Planning Clinic, located in downtown Winona, passed out sheets and pens.

“We are going to play sex trivia,” she said.

There was a round of true or false questions and a section left blank to draw a condom, an IUD and a NuvaRing. Another question was to list as many songs that contained the word ‘sex’ in the title.

One round of questions involved matching sexual movie quotes to the right movie. According to Vogue magazine, Mueller said, “Most women in America fantasize about men wearing a firefighter outfit.”

Another fact Mueller presented to the students was that Mississippi and Alabama are the only states that do not allow selling sex toys and vibrators.

Senior Michael Karug enjoyed the questions, and said they were “great fun.”

Megan Hayes, an upperclassman agreed with Karug. “The facts were interesting and fun,” Karug said. “Not the usual boring facts teachers drill into our skulls.”

“It was really good, and you had to think for the answer,” Hayes said.  The games were meant to engage the students in conversation to actively talk about sex without embarrassment. One question that stood out to students: how many calories are burned during 30 minutes of sex? The answer much to Hayes’ surprise was around 200 calories.

“I learned a lot. These events are always valuable experiences,” Karug said. “I will definitely use this information outside of campus.” Karug said prizes are always a plus when attending an event, while holding a free bag of condoms in his hands.

Hayes said she will attend more events as well.

“Sexual health is an important topic to become comfortable to talk about,” Hayes said. “More people should come.” Hayes said she will use the information she learned from the presentation outside academics.

Mueller insisted the more information available on sexual education, there would be less “oops” moments.