WSU women’s soccer moves to second in NSIC

15398184988_9e39d59776_h
Sophomore Kenzie Rose jumps for a header. Photo Credit: Bartholome Rondet

Kylie Bridenhagen/ Winonan

For the eighth time this season the Winona State University’s women’s soccer team posted a shutout —this time with a 2-0 win against Southwest Minnesota State University on Sunday afternoon at home.

On Saturday afternoon the No. 18 Warriors posted their first win of the two-game home stand with a 6-1 win over the University of Sioux Falls.

After this past weekends games, the Warriors win streak moves to eight with their overall season record reaching 13-1 and moving them to second in the NSIC with a record of 10-1, behind Minnesota State University, Mankato: the sole team still left undefeated in the conference at 11-0.

Winona State was first on the scoreboard on Sunday against Southwest Minnesota State in the tenth minute of the game when freshman midfielder Mikaella Sabinash scored her first career goal as a Warrior off of an assist from senior midfielder Shauna Rodman to lead the team 1-0.

Later on in the first half, sophomore forward Meg Riebau scored an insurance goal to increase the Warriors lead 2-0, which would remain for the rest of the game. This was Riebau’s fourth goal of the season, and junior midfielder Elizabeth Fritz was awarded with an assist.

Winona State totaled 20 shots, with eight being on goal, during the game to Southwest Minnesota’s eight total shots.

Nicole Sames led the team with four shots individually. Alaina Kne, Rodman and Riebau had three shots apiece with Kne recording all of her shots on goal and Rodman and Riebau with one shot on goal each.

Madalyn Jansen, Kenzie Rose and Hannah Burt added two shots each to the teams total with one of Burt’s and Jansen’s shots each being on goal.

Sabinash’s sole shot was the first goal of the game.

Freshman goalkeeper Rachel Oleson added her eighth shutout of the season to her career statistics with four saves against the Mustangs.

Southwest Minnesota posted eight total shots as a team, with half of those shots being on goal.

Autumn Hayes and Kendahl Fisher each had two shots on goal, while Kylie Redmond also had two of her own shots. Megan Kilroy and Lizzy Bruder had one shot apiece.

Mustang’s goalkeeper Brienna Dehkes made six saves and allowed two Warrior goals to pass through her possession.

Previously, on Saturday, the Warriors faced the Sioux Falls Cougars and won with the most goals scored in a single game of the year 6-1.This was the second most goals scored in a single game since September 29, 2012 when the Warriors beat Northern State University 7-1.

Freshman Forward Darian Molter and Rodman each scored a pair of goals to help solidify the Warrior win against Sioux Falls.

The Cougars were the first to score, with Ciara Howerton kicking in a goal during the first ten minutes of the match’s play to give the Cougars the lead early on.

Rodman scored her third goal of the season off of a penalty kick in the 37th minute to tie the teams at 1-1 apiece.

Rodman was back at it soon again, scoring her second goal of the game—and fourth of the season—less than a minute after the beginning of the second half.

Molter was next, scoring her two goals of the game in the 52nd and 56th minute of play to up the Warriors lead 4-1. These were Molter’s fifth and sixth goals of the season. Riebau was awarded with an assist from the fourth goal.

Kne was next up for the Warriors scoring effort, scoring her third goal of the year in the 60th minute and increased Winona State’s lead 5-1 off of an assist from Sames.

The Warriors’ sixth and final goal of the match was scored in the 73rd minute of the game by Holly Berling with a pair of assists from Kati Baker and Fritz. This was Berlin’s second individual goal of the season.

Winona State totaled 28 total shots with 16 being on goal.

Rodman had the game-high six shots with two goals. Riebau followed Rodman with five shots and one goal.

Baker and Kne recorded three shots each, while Taylor Zehren, Hayley Bach and Molter added two shots each to Winona State’s total.

Sabinash and Berling rounded out the team with one shot individually. Oleson recorded three saves and allowed one Cougar goal.

Goalkeeper Iris Ostrovsky also saw time in the net, playing goalkeeper for 11 minutes in the game.

Sioux Falls totaled seven shots with four shots on goal for the match.

Howerton had a team-high three shots with her team’s lone goal.

The women’s soccer team will be back in action to take on Bemidji State University (7-6-1 overall, 6-4-1 in NSIC) at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 24 in Bemidji, Minn. They will take on the University of Minnesota, Crookston (6-5-3 overall, 5-4-2 in NSIC) at noon on Sunday, Oct. 26 in Cookston, Minn.