X-Factor contestant Tim Olstad performs in Winona

Kalika Valentine-Erickson/ Winonan

Many people know him from his time on “X-Factor,” but Tim Olstad is from Winona.

His small town Minnesota nice attitude showed through at his show on Jan. 23 at the Page Theatre on the Saint Mary’s University campus. The normal announcement for phones and cameras sounded, but Tim gave permission for people in the audience to take all the pictures they wanted.

Olstad opened with a cover of “All of Me” by John Legend. After a short introduction, he followed with five songs that will release on his extended playlist (EP). When asked what an EP is, Olstad said, “It stands for extended play. It’s five songs…it’s a little taste of what you’ve got going on.”

The songs “Higher,” “Hold Me Up,” “Maybe,” “Never Know” and “Piece of You” were written by Olstad and Ron Pope, who is a singer and songwriter from New York and is supporting Olstad’s EP.

After Olstad performed the songs from his EP, he took a short break to answer some audience questions. His niece, Lily, who was one of many family members and personal friends in the audience, asked Olstad where he’d like to go on tour.

“I don’t care where I go. North Dakota, South Dakota, I don’t care…as long as people are there listening,” Olstad said.

A different audience member asked when Olstad’s EP is going to be released.

“We don’t have a set date. After the release I plan on going on tour,” Olstad said.

Olstad said that he will probably not be going on a solo tour right away, but hopes to open for Ron Pope.

Following the question and answer session, Olstad sang more song covers such as “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus, “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith, and “Say Something” by A Great Big World, which he sang alongside high school friends.

Olstad also performed a cover of “Lego House” by Ed Sheeran. He explained that “Lego House” was his go-to jam session song during his time on “The X-Factor” because Ed Sheeran is one of his favorite musicians. While spending time at Modern Family star and friend Sarah Hyland’s home, he got a huge surprise.

“Out walks Ed Sheeran, and I’m like, oh, my gosh,” he said. Olstad was able to sing “Lego House” while Ed Sheeran played the guitar and sang harmony.

Olstad received a standing ovation after his performance and came back onstage for an encore performance of “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perry, which was his audition song for “The X-Factor.” He received a second standing ovation.

Cathy Snyder, the Director of Choral Activities at Cotter High School and Olstad’s High School choir teacher, said, “I’ve had him as a student since he was a seventh grader. I knew he had something special.”

Julie Olstad, Olstad’s mom, said, “The pride is just bursting from everywhere. I am so proud. He’s grown so much as a musician and as a person.”

In the lobby, Olstad took “selfies” with his fans and gave them autographs as well.

“I love this,” Olstad said about his performance, with a huge smile on his face.