Track and field posts record times

Alexandria Carter/ Winonan

Winona State University women’s track and field added to the school’s record book as they competed in the Minnesota State Open and Multi in Mankato over the weekend.

The Warriors traveled to their third meet of the season with high expectations. Senior captain Jordan Skelly said the team is big into setting both personal and team goals.

“My personal goals were to get to know my teammates better, be a good leader in order to help the team reach our team goals, learn something valuable from every race and to shave time off of my mile,” Skelly said.

The Warrior’s distance medley relay team, which includes 1200-meter, 400-meter, 800-meter and 1600-meter in that order, consisted of freshman McKenzie Carper, senior Catherine Whitcomb, junior Katie Bagley and Skelly. These athletes finished first on Friday with a time of 12:21.83, the second fastest time in Winona State’s history.

The team of junior Leah Karsten, senior Kelsey Bethke, freshman Madison Schroeder and sophomore Chelsea Schrubbe finish third with a time of 12:44.11, the ninth fastest time in school history.

Freshman thrower Kaitlyn Long took second place in the meet, also placing ninth in Winona State’s record book with a weight throw of 17.77 meters.

On Saturday sophomore Megan Seidl along with six other Warriors made it into Winona’s top-10 record book.

Seidl won the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.77, the fourth fastest in school history for this event.

Schrubble placed third in the one mile run with a time of 5:13.26, giving her fifth place in Winona’s record book for the mile.

Sophomore Hailey Deschaine finished in the top five in the 60-meter dash and recorded sixth in the Winona State’s record book with a time of 7.96.

Bethke placed in the top five in the 400-meter dash in Mankato and tenth in Winona State’s history with a time of 59.50

Brittney Dulak finished seventh in the 60-meter hurdles and sixth in the all-time record book with a time of 9.39.

Junior Leah Karsten came in with a time of 3:12.50 in the 1000-meter run, finding herself seventh on Winona’s record list.

Madison Schroeder finished with a time of 2:23.09 in the 800-meter dash and eighth in Winona State’s record book.

Moving forward in their season, Skelly said the Warriors are looking to improve further both individually and as a team.

“As a senior most of my goals are around how I can help the team be better rather than myself,” Skelly said. “I hold our team goals close to heart as a captain this year. To me that means giving it my all and no matter what the results are just being able to be thankful to be running.”

Winona State will travel to Minneapolis to compete in the Jack Johnson Classic Friday and Saturday.