Dancescape begins six months of preparation for annual performance

Winona State students showcase their abilities at Dancescape auditions. (Photo by Kelsey Cherwinka)

Elizabeth Pulanco/Winonan

Tucked in her office within a quaint dance studio, Dance Program Director Gretchen Cohenour made preparations for the Dancescape auditions. that took place from Sept. 1-2 in the dance studio of Memorial Hall.

These auditions marked the beginning of the six-month journey for students who participate in Winona State University’s dance event, Dancescape.

Dancescape celebrated its 25th anniversary last year, and now everyone is getting ready to get back on the stage.

Cohenour describes Dancescape as a dance concert.

“Everyone involved has a different dance background,” Cohenour said. “We welcome new students with open arms.”

Evidence of this welcoming atmosphere was seen through hugs from choreographers and the friendly chatter amongst participants while they warmed up.

Many students at the auditions were returning for another year, or working on their choreography. Last spring, students hoping to choreograph for the show sent in proposals for choreographing work. Cohenour also brought in former student choreographers that had graduated.

“I’ve worked with Gretchen for 16 years,” choreographer Genevieve Corey said. “I graduated from UW-Stout last year, and I was invited back as an alumni choreographer.”

The different roles for students in the program are not just limited to choreographer. Senior Kaitlyn Rudolph is working as a production assistant in Dancescape this year.

“This is my first year as production assistant in Dancescape, but I have been involved with Dancescape for four years,” Rudolph said. “My favorite part of the process is finally seeing the show come to life.”

Before getting on the dance floor, students were assigned numbers and measured for costumes. Throughout the auditions, different choreographers came out and showed the students different movement exercises.

Each choreographer used a different genre of dance during his or her exercise. One choreographer used a classical, more ballet style of dance, while other choreographers focused on jazz or hip-hop.

Adjunct dance professor and choreographer Erinn Liebhard, who has also had experience teaching at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, focused on jazz for her section of the auditions.

“My main specialties are in jazz, tap and hip hop,” Liebhard said. “I want to get people to groove.”

After each choreographer showcased their section of the auditions, they rounded up and talked to any students that would be interested in working with them for the performance. Each student had a number safety pinned to their shirts, so it was easy for the choreographers to organize them.

Choreographers then gave the students times during the week when they would have rehearsals. If a student could not work with one choreographer, then they would have to go with another.

Each student in the audition had a different level of dance experience.

Whether they had been dancing since they were toddlers or if it was their first time, the choreographers encouraged people to move freely.

For freshman Jenna Grochow, it was her first time auditioning for Dancescape.

“I danced for five years when I was younger, and I did show choir for six years,” Grochow said. “I’m excited about learning new choreography and challenging myself.”

Even the returning students, like Sophomore Brianne Weber, were looking forward to new aspects of this year’s show.

“I’m looking forward to working with new dance styles and seeing how the dances develop,” Weber said.

Cohenour has been with Dancescape since the beginning, and has found it to be a very rewarding and engaging experience.

“I love sharing in and witnessing the students as they discover new aspects of themselves, find their potential and take risks,” Cohenour said.

Cohenour and the Dancescape choreographers have a wonderful relationship with dance, and hope that participating in Dancescape will help the students strengthen their relationship with the art as well.

“We feel alive when we are dancing,” Cohenour said. “Like we’re living on the edge.”

Dancescape will take place on Feb. 18, 19, and 20, 2016 at 7:30 p.m. on the Vivian R. Fusillo Main Stage in the Performing Arts Center.