Black Katts continue success over summer

Winona State women’s rugby won its first Annual Lakefront 7s division title on June 27. Players from left to right, back row: Lanoira Duhart, Megan Wolff, Rachel Thompson, Lachen Esters, Holly Edelburg. Players from left to right, front row: Andrea White, Samantha Wilcox, Katie Dries, Lindsey Bucki, Kalene Hill. Head coach Josh Krzewinski on right. (Contributed photo)

Allison Mueller/Winonan

From the U.S. to the U.K. the Black Katts represented Winona State University this summer as the women’s rugby team dominated three 7s tournaments, while four players also went on a rugby tour with the Midwest Thunderbirds.

Ranked 17th in the country at 7s, it is no surprise that the Black Katts went undefeated in their three tournaments in June.

The first was an elite college invitation in Madison, Wisc. Winona State defeated the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Whitewater, Stout and Platteville to claim the tournament.

On June 13 the Black Katts participated in their second 7s tournament of the summer at UW-Stout, winning the tournament 5-0. The team racked up 147 points throughout the day while giving up 10. Senior Lachen Esters was awarded MVP by the team after their successful day.

Two weeks later Winona State won its first Annual Lakefront 7s division title in Milwaukee, Wisc. after a 5-game battle. The first game resulted in a 38-5 win over Marquette University, followed by wins of 42-0 and 47-0 against Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Scylla, respectively.

In the semifinals the Black Katts bounced back after a 10-5 deficit at halftime to defeat the University of Wisconsin La Crosse 24-10.

It was a similar story in the finals against Touring in Training Side, a hybrid team composed of top-level senior players from around the Midwest, as the Black Katts were trailing 14-10 at halftime. In the second half the Black Katts failed to hold on to their 17-14 lead, but managed to tie the game 24-24 by the end of regulation play. In overtime the Black Katts scored first and claimed a 29-24 victory to win their division.

While some players participated in tournaments to maintain and improve their skills, head coach Josh Krzewinski said there are no formal practices for the Black Katts during the summer. He said, however, a majority of the girls who stayed in town would routinely meet and train together on “fitness, strength, and speed work at the field and in the weight room.”

The Black Katts have 14 new players this fall, but temporary assistant coach Roger Riley (also the Black Katt’s retired head coach and the current Winona State men’s and women’s rugby faculty advisor) said recruiting new players is not exactly easy and the Black Katts end up “growing their own” players by attracting students who are already on campus.

“With an increasing number of collegiate women’s rugby teams going varsity and offering scholarships, we are struggling to attract high school rugby players,” Riley said.

Riley and Krzewinski traveled to the Minnesota and Wisconsin state tournaments to recruit players this year. Krzewinski said they attend these high school tournaments and speak to teams after games, explaining Winona State’s rugby program and its opportunities.

Four Black Katts in particular have experienced these opportunities over the summer as they went on a 2-week rugby tour through Ireland, Wales and England.

Esters, senior Nadia Nassif, junior captain Lanoira Duhart and sophomore Megan Wolff made the Midwest U23 team of 25 players out of the 60 women who tried out for the Midwest Thunderbirds.

This group from the U.S. traveled through Dublin, Ireland to compete just outside of Cardiff, Wales, where they went 2-1.

The Midwest Thunderbirds defeated Pontyclun (No. 5 in Wales) 30-10 with a try from Duhart. They continued with another victory against Llandaff North (No. 4 in Wales) 36-17 and saw a try from Megan Wolff. In their final game the Welsh U23 select team defeated the Midwest Thunderbirds 34-5.

In addition to competing, the team also spent a day in London, England. The Midwest Thunderbirds were also able to see the national teams of Wales and Ireland compete in front of a crowd of 78,000.

After two weeks of travel, one Black Katt’s journey had yet to end. Duhart was named All-American and was selected to play for the USA U20s after trying out for

the U20 All-American team.

After leaving Wales, Duhart flew straight to Ellensburg, Wash. to compete with the

USA Rugby Junior All-Americans against Canada in a 2-game series on August 19 and 22. They defeated Canada in both games by scores of 38-22 and 32-5.

As of Aug. 25 the Black Katts are back in full swing for the season, practicing three days a week in preparation for their first game at the All Minnesota Tournament this Saturday in Otsego, Minn. This is a preseason tournament that the Black Katts have won eight years in a row.

“Teams are increasing working harder because they want to beat Winona State,” Krzewinski said. “So we have to play every game at our best. I’m confident in the team’s abilities, but it will not be easy.”

According to Krzewinski, the Black Katts’ ultimate goal remains unchanged

from year to year – make it to the National Final Four, for the fifth year in a row this year, and win the championship.