Music with Lauren: Preview of a senior recital

Lauren Saner/Winonan

Rebecca Kolar, fifth-year in the instrumental music education program at Winona State University, has studied clarinet for eleven years. Kolar describes her upcoming recital as “a good way to celebrate [her] college career and friendship.”

Music education and music performance majors are all required to perform a recital in their primary instrument at the end of their final year at Winona State University, or in this case, before student teaching. Each student is required to perform about 30 minutes of repertoire and perform for their professors, family and friends.

Over the past few years, the music department changed the conditions for the recitals so two students could share a recital.

Kolar said she and her good friend Adam George knew they wanted to perform together. Kolar will be performing three pieces: Robert Schumann’s “Fantasy Pieces Op. 73,” Wilson Osborne’s “Unaccompanied Rhapsody” and Camille Saint-Saens’ “Sonata Opus 167.”

Kolar described the pieces as being dramatic and emotional. Her favorite piece is Saint-Saens’ sonata. She first heard her clarinet professor, Daniel Sheridan perform at a faculty recital and felt drawn to the sonata.

“It need[ed] to be in my life,” Kolar said.

Adam George, fifth-year in instrumental music education, has studied saxophone for 12 years. George said he is very excited and nervous about the upcoming recital.

George will be performing four pieces: “Septieme Solo de Concert” by Jean Baptiste Singelee, “Sonata No. 19 2nd Movement” by Paul Creston, “Concerto in E-flat” by Alexander Glazunov and “Strange Humors”  by John Mackey. George said he chose all of these pieces because he loved all of them. The Singelee and Glazunov pieces were introduced to him by his saxophone professor, Harry Hindson. George is especially excited about “Strange Humors,” where three Winona State University alumni, Jessie Christian, Alex Jaeger and Joshua Klein, will be returning to perform this piece.

George and Kolar are finishing up preparations for the upcoming event, and will be accompanied by Professor Eric Brisson on piano. Their senior recital is Oct. 18 at 1:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center’s Recital Hall. Admission is free.