This one time at band camp…

This one time at band camp...

Lauren Saner/Winonan

Approximately 85 high school students will be spending 30 hours at Winona State University to learn and perform music on Nov. 6 at 1:45 p.m.

For the past 37 years, students from high schools all around the Midwest have been coming to learn music in a new environment and collaborating with other musicians.

The students will be given excerpts of the music prior to arrival, and upon entering the Performing Arts Center they will audition with these prepared pieces for chair placement. Once the audition is done, they are given their placement and immediately start rehearsal for the concert the following day.

From their arrival until the concert, the students have about 11 hours of rehearsal, not including one hour of sectionals. During this time, the students will be learning five pieces of music, one featuring fifth-year Adam George on saxophone.

The concert will take place Saturday, Nov. 7 at 7:30 p.m. and will include four songs from the Symphonic Wind Ensemble. This is not the only part the Winona State students will play during the weekend.

The students will serve as guides and assistants during rehearsals, be responsible for high school students and ensure they are where they need to be, escort them to meals, as well as keep an eye on the high school students staying on campus overnight.