Student Senate to hold fall general elections

Rebecca Mueller/Winonan

Students have the opportunity to participate in the upcoming Student Senate fall general elections beginning at noon on Sept. 17. The online polls will be open until noon on Sept. 20.

There is a two-week period for students to apply for Student Senate positions and a 72-hour election period, with a one-week space in between.

“We’re hoping to fill all of [the seats],” said Vice President and Election Chair of Student Senate, Blake Pangman.

Student Senate accepted applications from interested students between Aug. 27 and Sept. 10 at 2 p.m. A total of eleven positions are currently open, including two College of Education seats, one College of Liberal Arts seat, one College of Science and Engineering seat, one Junior seat, two Freshman seats, and four At-Large seats.

Applicants must be available for meetings from at least 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Wednesday nights. The newly-elected senators will attend their first meeting on Sept. 26.

Student Senate positions represent both colleges and classes. For example, a third- year student in the College of Education would be eligible to apply for and vote for the Junior and College of Education seats. Additionally, the At-Large seats are open to the entire student body.

“If you qualify for a seat, you can vote for that seat,” Pangman explained. “You have to be under that specific quadrant of requirements to vote for that seat.”

The fall general elections are one of four opportunities during the school year to vote for Student Senators and other issues that the organization may discuss during weekly meetings. In previous elections, the ballot has also included a revised Student Senate constitution, applications for the Warrior Grant service projects, and the Professor of the Year award.

Opportunities to vote also occur during the fall supplemental, spring supplemental, and spring general elections. Any open seats that have not been filled after the fall general elections will be up for grabs during the fall supplemental elections later in the fall semester.

The student-run organization represents the student body, and reports its decisions to the administration. Its members work to discuss and recommend changes to tuition and student fees, as well as approving budgets for student clubs and approving special requests. Their work affects the entire student body.

“Student Senate does a lot of the leg work for students,” said Student Senate President Alexandra Griffin.

Griffin’s main goal for this year’s Student Senate is to improve the advising process. Student Senate will be working closely with Faculty Senate to improve the current advising system. Potential changes include the addition of student- on-student advising.

Other issues on the docket for this year’s Student Senate include diversity and voter education. The All-University Committee is planning a diversity summit for University Improvement Day on Oct. 16. Student Senate will also run a ‘Get Out to Vote’ campaign as part of increasing awareness, and to improve voter education.

“You have the right to vote,” said Pangman. “A lot of important decisions are being made.” He encourages everyone to vote and get involved, not just at the university level, but also at the local and national levels.

Griffin believes that it is just as important to get applicants for Student Senate positions as it is to get votes. Student Senate is the student-run organization that runs student life, especially the financial aspects. The faculty and administration hear the recommendations made by its members; in turn, they do their best to listen to the student voice.

Student Senate meets on Wednesday evenings starting at 5 p.m. in the Purple Rooms in Kryzsko Commons. Their meetings are open to all students. To learn more about the organization, visit www. winona.edu/studentsenate or contact StudentSenate@ winona.edu.

Contact Rebecca at [email protected]