New webzine aims to promote wellness

Health and Wellness Services Coordinator Erica Thibodeaux, graphic designer Tegan Blank, and editor Samantha Luhmann.
Elisenda Xifrariverter/Winonan

Brent Quam/Winonan

Last month, issue one of volume one of Wellzine became available on the Winona State University Health and Wellness Services page.

Wellzine is an online monthly magazine devoted not only to promoting the physical health and well-being of students, but all aspects of a person’s health.

Every issue will feature an article on the physical, spiritual, occupational, emotional, social, intellectual and environmental aspects of well-being. These articles offer helpful tips and advice on improving one’s health in all these areas.

In addition, Wellzine will highlight a number of local programs and events that offer healthy leisure alternatives.

August’s issue featured the efforts of Winona State’s Outdoor Education and Recreation Center (OERC) to get students outdoors. The inaugural issue also contained articles on the Writing Center, longboarding, Winona’s many walking trails and other topics.

Erica Thibodeaux, Winona State’s health and wellness promotion coordinator, created Wellzine as a way to get relevant wellness information to students in an attractive, easy-to-read manner. Wellzine replaced Student Health 101, an online health promotion magazine Winona State used last year.

Work began on Wellzine as early as 2011. “We’re still playing with the design,” said editor Samantha Luhmann, “but we hope to have an issue out every month very soon.”

Though many of the articles in the August issue were written by staff members, Wellzine has recently hired seven new writers, one to write for each aspect of wellness, Luhmann said. Soon, instructional and demonstrative videos will be included as well.

October is Vegetarian Month, and Wellzine will be offering advice on how to eat and cook vegetarian, as well as suggesting alternatives to alcohol use during Homecoming, Luhmann said. The webzine will also have a feature on frac sand excavation in the Winona area and its possible effects on the local environment.

The October issue of Wellzine will most likely be available the first week of October, Luhmann said.

Contact Brent at [email protected]