Youth adds spark in soccer victories

Dan Noth/Winonan

The Winona State Women’s Soccer team continued their strong play with two conference victories, 1-0 Saturday against Southwest Minnesota State University and 2-0 over Sioux Falls on Sunday.

After a tough scoreless first half against Southwest Minnesota State on Saturday, senior Katy Soliday, who leads the Warriors with seven assists, scored her first goal of the season in the 51st minute to put Winona State ahead.

The Warriors put a lot of pressure on the Mustangs’ defense.

WSU’s offense was firing from everywhere, taking 15 shots and putting seven on goal to go along with eight corner kicks.

Sophomore Alexandra Vial made seven saves and recorded her fifth shutout of the season, all against NSIC opponents.

Sunday against Sioux Falls, the offense picked up right where it left off, taking a season high 24 shots while holding Sioux Falls to just four.

Fifteen shots came in the first half and the Warriors would add another 12 in the second.

Youth has been a big factor for the Warriors this year.

There are 14 freshmen are on the team and both goals scored on Sunday were from freshman, scoring their first career goals for the Warriors.

Shortly after entering the game late in the first half, freshman Sammi Van de Linde was able to take a long cross and head it into the back of the net for her first career goal as a Warrior.

Cailyn McCauley recorded an assist on the play.

The offense came out of halftime hot and another freshman, Kati Baker was able to put her first goal of the season in the net on a shot from the top of the box.

Another freshman was able to get valuable experience playing in the goal.

Sophomore Vial played the first 70 minutes and made two saves before being replaced by freshman Chelsea Metzger who came in to play the final 20 minutes and made one save.

The Warriors improved to 9-3 overall and 8-1 in the NSIC conference, improving their winning streak to four. All four games have been conference matches.

Winona State gets back to action Saturday against Minnesota-Crookston and Sunday they face off against Bemidji State.

The following five games played will be on the road.

The Warriors are in sole possession of second place in the conference, one game behind undefeated Minnesota State.

The two top teams will square off on Oct. 26, for what could be what decides the conference championship.

Contact Dan at [email protected]