“Dames at Sea” opens this week

Brad Farrell/Winonan

Rebecca Mueller/Winonan

The department of theatre & dance and the department of music at Winona State University are joining forces to present the musical “Dames at Sea.”

This is the first musical that has been performed at Winona State since the 2009 production of “Two by Two,” and it is collaboratively directed by Theater Director Jim Williams and Music Director Harry Mechell. The musical is performed in two acts with a ten-minute intermission between acts.

“Dames at Sea” will be performed Oct. 17-20 at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee performance on Oct. 21 at 2 p.m. Each performance will take place on the main stage of the Performing Arts Center. Tickets are $15 for the general public and $8 for students with identification or children under the age of twelve.

George Haimsohn and Robin Miller wrote the musical’s book and lyrics, and Jim Wise wrote the music. The play is a parody of flashy Busby Berkeley musicals from the 1930s.

“What they think of plays is being satired by this play,” said Anthony Schiesman, the house manager for “Dames at Sea.” Schiesman enjoys the corniness of the musical and is looking forward to the actual performance.

“Dames at Sea” revolves around a young girl named Ruby who wants to become a Broadway star, a diva named Mona Kent who is in search for a place to stage her Broadway show after she learns that her theater is about to be demolished, and a sailor named Dick who hopes to be a songwriter.

The cast features six to eight main characters and seven chorus members. Auditions were held during the first week of the semester and rehearsals began the following week.

“It’s a month and a half to put together a musical,” said Samantha Heaver, who works with publicity and costuming for “Dames at Sea” and is the production coordinator for the Wenonah Players.

Nearly everyone in the department of theatre and dance plays a part in putting the musical together. Students earn service hours by helping with set design, costuming, and a variety of other important jobs that will help to put the production together. The department also brought in an outside source to help with the sound system and a guest choreographer. In the department of music, Mechell directs a small pit orchestra ensemble. During rehearsals, he works with Williams to coordinate timing between the actors and the ensemble.

In keeping with the setting of the musical, the costuming features 1930s-style dresses and costumes. Existing costumes from past productions have been altered for use in the upcoming production.

“We just really wanted colors,” Heaver said. The costumes are colorful and sparkly, adding to the parotic elements of the play.

The set and costumes are not the only visual aspects of the musical. The Performing Arts Center box office has been transformed into a ship to set the stage for the production. Schiesman, who designed the ship managed its assembly, also plans to decorate the Performing Arts Center lobby with seagulls and portholes.

Although the musical is scheduled for performance during Winona State’s Homecoming Week, a week with numerous exciting activities to choose from, the cast and crew expects a good turnout.

“It was a somewhat conscious decision,” Heaver said. By scheduling the musical to be performed during Homecoming week, the theater department hopes to attract both current students and alumni within the community.

Tickets can be ordered through the Performing Arts Center Box Office by visiting in person or calling 507-457-5235, and online at www.winona.edu/arts/tickets.asp.

Contact Rebecca at [email protected]

Brad Farrell/Winonan