Business Bridge and dinner emphasize connections

Students learned communication skills at the networking dinner.
Elisenda XifraReverter/Winonan

Brent Quam/Winonan

The focus of the Sophomore Business Bridge Program this year, in keeping with the 2012 University Theme, “Well Connected,” was educating students in the art of networking, making lasting connections with colleagues and businesspeople in the community.

The conference, jointly held by the Winona State University’s Warrior Success Center and the WSU College of Business, was held Oct. 15 and 16, University Improvement Day.

Speakers invited to speak at the SBBP were asked to integrate the university theme, if possible, into their presentations.  It did not appear this was a difficult task for event speakers, since improvement of networking skills was the basis of the entire program.

Keynote speaker Will Oberton, Chief Executive Officer of Fastenal, kicked off the program Monday night with a lecture entitled “Connecting Work with Life – Healthily!”  The focus of the talk was balancing work with family life.

Events the following day included a presentation by Diane Amundson, of Amundson and Associates.

Her presentation, “The Art of Small Talk: How Networking Can Improve Your World,” was concerned with giving students a refresher in small talk with new people. Fourteen sophomores sat around Amundson in a conference room off Kryzsko’s East Hall, seemingly hanging on her every word.

Early in her presentation, Amundson used an image of John Wayne to illustrate her major point.  “What do you think of when you see this guy?” Amundson asked.

“Self-reliance,” one student said. “Independence.”

“Exactly,” Amundson said. But then she said, “Mr. Wayne is not the answer. There is no such thing as a self-made man.”
No one attains success in business alone, and building a strong network of contacts is key to achievement of one’s goals, Amundson said. For many students, that means finding a job and beginning a career. Amundson cited a survey given to graduates with master’s degrees in business administration 10 years after graduation. Those most successful claimed their greatest strength was good networking skills.

Katy Smith, 2011 Minnesota Teacher of the Year, followed up Amundson’s presentation with “Connecting the Dots – Knowing Yourself.” Xavier Wilson, Winona State Assistant Director of Housing, also used the university theme overtly in his talk, “Connecting Across Differences.”

An alumni leadership panel with representatives from Loram, McGladery, Medtronic and Fastenal rounded out the afternoon’s events.

The Networking Dinner gave students the opportunity to engage with local business leaders in a speed-conversation format, talking for eight minutes and then rotating.

“Around 40 students from the WSU College of Business attended the dinner,” said Charlie Opatz, Career Counselor with Career Services and the event’s coordinator. “That’s only 5% of WSU’s students majoring in business.”

Opatz attributes the low attendance partly to the program’s being held on University Improvement Day.

“Professors don’t like students missing their classes to attend something like this,” Opatz said, “but students won’t attend unless it’s held on a weekday. University Improvement Day continues to be the best option.”

In spite of this, Opatz was grateful to those who participated: students, speakers and instructors alike. “I would like to send a thank you out to faculty of the College of Business,” said Opatz, “the SBBP would not have happened without their help.”

Because there will be a new Dean of the College of Business in the coming year, it is not yet clear whether the SBBP will be held in 2013. If there is, Opatz says, the entire program’s events will be open to juniors and seniors as well as sophomores.

The cost for sophomores was this year was $15.  Juniors and seniors attending the Networking Dinner in the evening paid $5.

Contact Brent at [email protected]