Tunnel project to move forward this summer

Rebecca Mueller/Winonan

In order to create a safer path across the train tracks for pedestrians, Winona State University is working with the railroad to construct a pair of underground tunnels along the tracks near Main Street and Huff Street.

The predicted locations of the tunnels are the Johnson Street and Winona Street crossings.

Because the train tracks are so close to Main Campus, many students feel their presence.

“The train horn wakes people up or it disturbs their studying,” said Angie Whitcomb, a sophomore who lives on West Campus. She also noted that the train sometimes prevents students from getting to class on time if they do not plan ahead.
In addition to affecting individuals, the train also affects groups wishing to transport equipment to and from the Verizon Wireless Stadium. One such group is the Winona State Pep Band, which performs at each home football game.

“Getting the stands across the tracks is a challenge,” said Whitcomb, who plays alto saxophone in the Pep Band. The ensemble brings racks of music stands out to the stadium by wheeling them over the tracks at a pedestrian crossing near the stadium. Because the racks of stands are heavy, the stands often get caught in the rails.

According to a 2009 freight train volume and speed map published by the Minnesota Department of Transportation, an average of 28 trains travel through Winona each day from both the Canadian Pacific and Union Pacific lines. The frequent railroad traffic is very noticeable to community members.

“Everybody wants the project to move forward,” said Patricia Bremer, campus planner for Facilities Services. The tunnels would serve both the university and the community, and would be intended for pedestrians, bicyclists, and any other form of transportation excluding trains and motor vehicles.

Whenever an injury or death occurs on the tracks, the tunnel project regains importance. An increase in rail traffic is also cause for concern.

Winona State University is working with Canadian Pacific, the city of Winona, and the Minnesota Department of Transportation to move forward on the project.

Funding for the tunnel project was first announced between 2003 and 2004. Thomas Grier, the Director of University Communications at the time of the original announcement, had worked with former Winona State President Darrell Krueger to address the concern of increased rail traffic and pedestrian safety.

One chapter in their book reads: “A critical need has developed to find safe passage across the railroad, for a number of people have been killed on these intersections over the years, including students and at least one faculty member.” This chapter of the book was intended to address Winona State’s success in obtaining community-government support. The book was never published.

About three to four million dollars of federal funding were initially earmarked for the project through the Minnesota Department of Transportation. This earmark still stands, ensuring that some funding exists for the project.

“We never lost the funding, but it never moved forward as quickly as we wanted it to, said Bremer. Since the beginning stages of the project, costs have increased while the amount of federal funding has not changed. The university is expected to provide the remaining funding, and the residence halls have allocated some funding to this end.

To ensure that the tunnels are safe and secure for pedestrians, Code Blue towers, cameras and lighting are important elements in the design of the tunnels. Because engineers have already designed the tunnels, more attention is being paid to the little details in order to blend the tunnels in with the appearance of WSU’s campus.

“I think it’d be logical. I think it’d be safer,” Whitcomb said. She believes that the university would benefit from the tunnels’ construction.

Before the tunnels are built, Winona State and the railroad will make a number of preparations. Winona State will be relocating utilities such as a water main near New Center. The railroad will raise the tracks and install the box culverts that will make up the tunnels.

Winona State intends to re-bid the project to area construction companies, having only received one bid during a previous bidding. Although all deadlines for the project are preliminary, Winona State is hoping for construction on the tunnels to start in the summer of 2013.

Contact Rebecca at [email protected]