Warriors lose postseason finale to Minot State, move to 16-5 record

Robert Rothwell/Winonan

Dan Noth/Winonan

The Winona State University women’s soccer team placed second in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Tournament with a 2-1 victory over Upper Iowa University on Oct. 31 and a 0-1 loss to the Beavers from Minot State University Nov. 3.

The Warriors claimed their first goal of the opening match after Upper Iowa knocked a shot into their own goal early in the second half, but the Peacocks would respond with a goal in the 75th minute to tie the match.

Caitlin Lilly scored the only offensive goal for the Warriors, her fifth of the season and eventual game-winner. With her fifth goal, the freshman tied for the most on the team. Kelsey Foss and Rebecca McCoy assisted on the play.

As she has all season, sophomore goalkeeper Alexandra Vial came up big for the Warriors, making eight saves as the Warriors improved to 16-4 on the season. Both teams recorded 18 shots, and the Warriors managed 12 on goal.

With the win, Winona State advanced to the NSIC Tournament Championship. Looking for it’s first championship since 2010, the Warriors faced a strong Minot State team who had a lot of momentum going for them.

“We played some of our best soccer in the tournament,” said Lilly. “We didn’t win the championship, but it brought the team together as a whole.”

After defeating Minnesota State, Mankato in a shootout, the Beavers rolled to another upset beating the Warriors 1-0 to clinch a spot in the NCAA tournament.

Despite holding Minot State to just four shots, Zoe Fischer was able to find the back of the net in the 68th minute to claim the NSIC/US Bank Tournament Title. The Warriors had their chances, taking 19 shots, but they were only able to put three on goal. Rebecca McCoy and Mehan Bolton combined for eight shots to lead.

The Warriors kept the ball on the offensive side of the field all day, taking six corner kicks as well, but a tough defense from Minot State wouldn’t allow the Warriors to break through for a score. Goalkeeper, Vial, recorded two saves in the match for the Warrior defense.

“The season went well considering how young we are,” said Lilly. “The freshman had to step up and take some responsibility on the field; by the end of the year the freshman really become part of the team.”

That youth will be a valuable asset for coach Ali Omar going forward as the Warriors are sporting more than 10 freshman, making up more than half the roster.

Zoe Fischer was named the tournament MVP after leading her Beavers to an unpredicted conference title, while five Warriors were named to the All-NSIC Team and three to the All-Tournament team.

Senior Katy Soliday, juniors Rebecca McCoy and Morgan LeFebvre, sophomore Alaina Kne and freshman Kelsey Foss were all named to the All-NSIC Team. McCoy, LeFebvre and freshman Caitlin Lilly were honored with All-Tournament team selections.

The Warriors came into the tournament ranked fifth in the NCAA Central rankings; the top six ranked teams will advance into the NCAA Regional Tournament.

Contact Dan at [email protected]