Track shows their worth at NSIC indoor challenge

Maurice Hudson, Basketball Reporter

The Winona State women’s track team showed their strengths as they finished fourth out of ten teams at the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) Indoor Challenge in Mankato.

The Warriors finished with 93 points over 17 events, but the Warriors fell short to Minnesota State University – Mankato, University of Mary, and Augustana University (S.D.).

The Warriors’ 4×400 meter relay team came in first out of 15 teams with a final time of 3:47.81.

Junior Kalley Harris said the team needed to focus on their races.

“Our mindset going into the NSIC Preview was to do our best and focus on our race, which we effectively did,” Harris said. “We were happy to run a successful race that was recorded as the 3rd fastest time in Winona history.”

The 4×400 team consists of Harris, senior Johnna Patterson, sophomore Brooklyn Schyvinck and first year Allison Waterman, who are currently ranked second in the nation.

Harris said the 4×400 team is looking towards “fine-tuning” their techniques and expecting to do the same in upcoming meets.

“We are fine-tuning for next weekend as well as getting ready for the conference meet. It is important to take it one week at a time to focus on the aspects we need to,” Harris said. “Each week we are getting faster, which always makes it exciting to get back on the track.”

Senior Anna Rogahn, who is ranked 12 in the nation, notched ten points to the overall score with a first-place finish of 4.55.94 in the one-mile run. Sophomore Brittany Quiring finished seventh with a time of 5.22.47.

In the 400-meter dash, Winona State had four runners bringing in points. Schyvinck was the first to finish with a time of 57.45. Immediately following, sophomore Shereen Vallabouy came in with a time of 57.93. Waterman came in fourth (58.88) and sophomore Kendall Zeman (59.22) came in seventh in the event.

Sophomore Michaela Pryor claimed a top-three spot coming in third (25.33) in the 200-meter dash and sophomore Maddy Pietz came in fifth (25.77) in the affair.

In event 40, the 3000-meter run junior Becca Richtman and sophomore Alli Hendrickson came in first and second with Richtman setting a time of 10:09.65 and Hendrickson posting a time of 10:44.85.

Sophomore Madison Rizner (ranked 29th in the nation) set the tone for the jumping events coming in second in the High Jump with a 1.67m jump and junior Kristi Springer (ranked 32nd in the nation) came in third (11.72m) in the triple jump event.

The Warriors will be heading back to Mankato for the Maverick Invitational on Friday, Feb. 21.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.