Men’s basketball end regular season with wins

Kristen Carrie

Winona State guard Caleb Wagner, dunks despite the efforts of University of Sioux Falls forward Teathloach Pal, a senior during a game at Winona State’s McCown Gymnasium on Friday, Feb. 14. Winona State fell 49-51 in a tight game against Sioux Falls.

Christopher Edwards, Basketball Reporter

The Winona State University men’s basketball team won both of their final regular season games on the road.

In the first game, the Warriors took on Concordia University who they beat narrowly earlier in the season.

The beginning of the game would be neck and neck as neither team could get a big lead.

Later in the first half ,the Golden Bears would get their largest lead following a made three-pointer.

Trailing by four the Warriors started to turn it on as they went on a 14-2 run nine of which came from junior forward Kevion Taylor.

The run allowed the Warriors to acquire a 29-21 entering the halftime intermission.

The Warriors shot uncharacteristically low from the field in the first half as they made only five of 16 three-point attempts and only 11 of 30 overall.

Concordia shot under 25% from three and only 33% from the field.

The second half started out quick as junior forward Andrea Lo Biondo hit a layup to push the lead to double-digits.

Then the Golden Bears would respond with a 9-2 run to cut the Warrior lead to three with 17:13 left in the remainder of regulation.

Winona State would then once again get it rolling through Taylor as the team went on a 23-6 run to the Warriors their largest lead of the game.

Being up 20 points with 11:58 left, the Warriors were able to coast to the 74-60 victory.

In the second game, the Warriors took on Minnesota State University – Mankato.

The Warriors came out slow as the Mavericks were able to get out to a 10-0 lead to begin the game.

Winona State was not able to get on the board until 14:16 left in the first half.

After a made three-pointer by Lo Biondo, the Warriors cut their deficit to five.

The Mavericks then went on a 11- 4 run to get their lead to 12 with 6:14 left in the first half.

Winona State would narrow the gap as they were able to keep the game within single digits going into halftime.

The Mavericks held a 34-26 lead at halftime as they were able to hold the Warriors to only three made three-pointers and only 28% shooting from the field.

Though they could not get going from three-point range, the Mavericks were able to shoot just below 50% from the field and attack the paint, as 18 of their 34 points came from there.

The second half was back and forth just as the end of the first.

The Warriors came on strong as they went on a 17-7 run to tie the game at 52 with 10:39 remaining in regulation.

The Warriors were able to get their first lead of the game following a three-pointer made by senior guard Caleb Wagner.

Later on, the Warriors got their biggest lead of the game after Lo Biondo made a three-pointer, making the score 70-63 with 4:53 remaining in regulation.

But the Mavericks got back in the game as they tied at 72 with 1:56 remaining in regulation.

Then, the Warriors finally were able to pull away in the final seconds following five points by Wagner and a pair of free throws by Taylor so the Warriors could get the 79-72 win.

Senior guard Caleb Wagner, who led the Warriors in points over the weekend, is motivated in his final stretch for Winona State.

“I mean I just don’t want to lose and it’s my senior year obviously, you want to play as long as you can,” Wagner said.

Wagner also mentioned the team’s struggles in the post season.

“I haven’t been to the playoffs like after the conference tournament, my whole career here that’s my motivation to finally get there,” Wagner said.

Lo Biondo stepped in Minnesota State-Mankato game scoring 22 points.

Wagner spoke of Lo Biondo’s improvement of the season.

“His role has gotten better and better throughout the year. He’s getting better and better especially defensively which is huge,” Wagner said.

This week the Warriors will compete in the NSIC tournament.

Their first game will be at home Wednesday, Feb. 26 against the University of Minnesota Crookston. Tip-off will be at 7:30 p.m.

The opinions expressed in this paper are not necessarily those of Winona State University, the Minnesota State Colleges and University system, or the Winona State University student body.