Fulbright scholar enriches Spanish program

Pablo Carpintero is teaching a Spanish class and helping put on several cultural events.
Brad Farrell/Winonan

Oksana Carlier/Winonan

For Fulbright Scholar Pablo Carpintero, teaching Spanish at Winona State University is a dream come true.

Originally from Argentina, Carpintero is here for one academic year after applying for and receiving a Fulbright scholarship.

Winona State chose Carpintero in order to re-establish connections between the United States and Argentina that date back to the late nineteenth century, according to Vanessa Fernandez-Greene, a professor in Winona State’s global studies and world languages department.

“I can do what I want to do professionally,” Carpintero said.

Carpintero studied English as a foreign language, with a focus on teaching, at the University of Rio Cuarto, he said. He has taught in various private universities and high schools for five years.

At Winona State, Carpintero is not only teaching a beginning Spanish course but also taking two classes, including one that pertains to American Culture, said Fernandez- Greene.

Likewise, Carpintero participates in Spanish conversation tables once a week, where students discuss cultures in Spanish. Greene also mentioned that Carpintero, along with Sigma Delta Pi and Voces, is putting on an Argentina cooking night in February.

“I knew that Spanish was a spoken language here in the United States, but what I didn’t know was the fact that there are so many students interested in learning the language,” Carpintero said.

“Winona State has many chances for the students to practice their Spanish. We have Spanish clubs, Voces, tutors and lots of professors and Spanish speakers.”

Fernandez-Green said Carpintero has been a great addition to the program.

“He is extremely laid back and easy going and eager to learn about our culture,” she said.

“He is really friendly and excited about sharing his culture and learning about ours,” Fernandez-Greene said. The Fulbright program is an American organization committed to the exchange of ideas and understanding among more than 150 countries around the world.

“I am here to promote that understanding,” Carpintero said.

Regarding cultural adjustment, Carpintero said the most difficult part about the adjustment has been learning to do things alone.

He said he has learned a lot about dealing with different people and their different lifestyles.

The community at Winona State has made the transition easier for Carpintero.

“WSU professors, students, faculty all prove that they have a great interest in knowing about my culture and my place and Spanish in general. Everyone is so kind here at Winona,” he said.

Furthermore, Carpintero said that the most rewarding part of teaching at Winona State is the students.

“All of the students have been really respectful and they work really hard to get the most out of the classes. All of the professors are really willing to help them all the time,” he said.

Contact Oksana at [email protected]