New course connects different disciplines

(Left to right) Professors James Bowey and Joan Francioni, and students Jake Alterman and Amber Grace, got a closer look on the monitor during a group presentation.
Brad Farrell/Winonan

Abby Peschges/Winonan

Winona State professors James Bowey, Joan Francioni and Chun Lok Mah are piloting the first interdisciplinary class at Winona State University, which mixes Computer Science, Graphic Design and Photography.

The idea to create a class mixing these disciplines came in fall 2011 and was implemented as a proof-of-concept when all students in three separate classes were involved.

Francioni, of the computer science department, said, “Through discussions as faculty we saw connections through disciplines and how interesting it is to see an issue and discuss it from the perspective of the other two people.”

Bowey, of the mass communications department, said that he was already working with other departments as the class began.

“It really was born organically as we found ourselves collaborating with each other instinctively,” he said.

The pilot project was designed in spring 2012. Bowey said, “As we developed it, we created a more structured model and study. We then applied for a Next Chapter grant to bring the class into the curriculum this fall.”

The class is made up of five students in each of the three disciplinary specific classes. They meet for an hour each week with the professors in what is considered an independent study for one credit.

Students work in groups of three, one student from each discipline, and work together to identify a problem in the given framework. Together they come up with a solution and implement it based on a process given by the professors.

This process includes working with professors and students throughout the semester, at different points of the project.

Francioni said the class “uses the process of multidisciplinary collaboration to come to an interdisciplinary solution.”

Mah, of the art department, said combining disciplines makes students find new ways to approach problems. “Not all disciplines have the same mindset, and it makes students approach a problem in a way they wouldn’t normally approach it,” he said.

The professors do not encourage students to find the fastest and easiest solution. Bowey said, “We have to break the habits that we have developed, interdisciplinary is not necessarily the fastest, but it is arguably the more effective way to the solution.”

Bowey, Francioni and Mah are hoping to have the model more refined, and to work with faculty in other departments.

Bowey said, “The big picture goals are to develop the pedagogy for problem based interdisciplinary collaboration and to create a model for delivering a course within the university’s framework.”

Senior Maria Wetli, a photojournalism and sociology double major, participated in the class last year.

“I really enjoyed it because you get to see the perspectives of other majors and hear ideas from other people,” Wetli said. “Working as a team made a better project and proved Professor Bowey right that you can’t do it all on your own.”

Francioni said, “Sometimes it’s not the stand-out or brightest students that do the best. Better listeners are better collaborators, and they often exceeded our expectations.”

Contact Abby at [email protected]