More than just working out: Winona State’s plan for wellness

Hannah Jones/Winonan

When some people think of the word “wellness,” what comes to mind may be those hard-worn treadmills, wheatgrass smoothies, or twenty-five pound dumbbells.

However, if that were literally all it took to be “well,” it would be a wonder that we’d leave the gym at all. Of course, being “well” comes down to much more than exercising, as any sleep-deprived, super-stressed, highly caffeinated student can tell you. Okay, as I can tell you.

I may work out, but my day-to-day habits are far from an example of balanced health. Luckily, this year, the university is focusing on exactly the same issue: helping those among us who are jittery, yawning, stressed, depressed, bored, or struggling with any other wellness issue, even those that a treadmill won’t fix.

This year’s university-wide theme, “Well Connected: Piecing Together a Well You,” reflects the 2010 completion of the Integrated Wellness Complex.

The complex was made a university priority in 2006, and four years and $19 million later, it has become the nucleus of all-around wellness and activity here on campus.

Although there are those of us who only use it for the abundant treadmills and weight-lifting machines, the Wellness Complex actually has a lot planned to help students achieve a holistic, well-rounded wellness that goes beyond just getting ripped or dropping some extra pounds.

Using the thematic “Wellness Wheel” as a guide, the IWC is planning a plethora of programs and services to help students nourish their bodies, minds, social lives, and more.

On Tuesday, Nov. 13, the IWC hosted a student survey event as a soft opening for a series of programs for 2013. Students had the opportunity to come and fill out a questionnaire about their lives and the different facets of their overall wellness.

Getting enough time on the treadmill was only a small factor in the overall wellness equation. Students were also asked to examine their lives in other ways: are they stimulated enough mentally, do they make an effort to care for the environment, are they in touch with their feelings, and more.

After filling out the questionnaire, students could add up their scores for each individual category, and from there, find the programs and services offered to suit their individual needs.

The Integrate Wellness Center’s future programming reflects this balanced approach to feeling well and healthy in all aspects of life.

“There are particular dimensions of wellness that students are struggling with,” representative Chelsea Gabrielson said. “We’re going to be trying for a more well-rounded approach to health and wellness.”

Unlike this year’s Healthy Mondays and Wellness Wednesdays, these programs will be conducted on a stop-in basis, allowing students to fit a little time for self-improvement into their already busy schedules.

When it comes to working effectively and learning all we can from our college experience, our health is the greatest asset we have to success.

Whether it’s keeping your brain busy, learning how to keep our community green and clean, reaching out to others, tapping into a spiritual reservoir, or getting that cover letter written in time for internship applications, a little care and the right resources can put you on track to being your best self, with or without a treadmill.

Contact Hannah at [email protected]