Winona State student athletes among smartest

Danielle Stone/Winonan

Student athletes at Winona State University have been recognized as some of the smartest in the country by The Best Colleges.
For the sixth semester in a row, Winona athletes have had an average GPA of over 3.2 when the goal is to be over 3.0.
This fall semester the 15 athletic teams had a cumulative GPA of 3.28, which is the highest yet.

Athletic Director Eric Shoh, who started at Winona State in 2011, said he appreciates the priority Winona State athletes and coaches set for academics.
“It is something that started with the previous athletic directors and is about establishing a culture, not just to win games,” Shoh said. “Almost all athletes go on to be professionals in something other than sports, so academics are first and foremost.”
Winona State requires athletes to make use of resources such as the Student Athlete Services Success Center, mandatory study programs, study tables, and class checks.
Winona State athletes also encourage one another in academic excellence.  Head football coach Thomas Sawyer explained how his football team self-elects team leaders to set the standard in academics and on the field.
Sawyer also has his team break into smaller teams to compete with each other to have the highest cumulative GPA. “The number one goal is graduation,” Sawyer said.
The recognition for the high academic standard of Winona State athletes also has effects in other areas such as recruitment.
Women’s volleyball coach David Simon said, “That’s one of the things we tell recruits, to look at the academic track record. It is part of the culture they have created by doing well and having accountability in their academics.”
Schoh, Sawyer and Simon also spoke highly of the support their athletes have received from faculty.

“The faculty have been very supportive of our efforts,” Simon said. “It is inherent to miss class time traveling, but the students try to be proactive as a team. They try to get things done beforehand.”
Even though Winona State athletes do miss class time because of the sports they play, athletes are still staying on top of their education and making academics a priority.
“Some of the top kids in their major are student athletes,” Sawyer said. “It is good for the faculty to see this because the faculty knows the kids are doing their work.”
When it comes to this continued academic success and what it says about Winona State’s athletic department, Schoh said, “I think it says that we’re doing things the right way. It’s about the balance.”

Contact Danielle at
[email protected]