Volleyball’s victory is followed by two losses

Elly Herrick

Jaci Winchell crouches down to get to the ball that was spiked. Winona State University volleyball played against Upper Iowa State on Oct. 4 and gained a 3-1 win.

Kayla Vang, Sports Reporter

Winona State University volleyball came out swinging Tuesday night at their home game against Upper Iowa State and earned themselves a 3-1 victory. 

Upper Iowa came through and stole the first set 25-22, but quickly Winona stood their ground taking back the second set 25-16, both teams still determined to take the win.  

Winona state is standing 4-4 in the NSIC contest and continues to prove themselves in league standings.  

“I know we have all the tools and athletes to be successful at our level and it’s exciting everything is starting to come together,” fourth-year student Madison Larson said.  

After the break, the two teams battled it out attempting to take the lead. However, the Warriors’ defense was what locked in the set. Winona State was able to pick up Upper Iowa’s swings and prevent them from scoring on our home court. The consistent reading of the ball paid off, as the Warriors hustled for the last two points of the third set, 28-26.  

The Warriors’ determination was front and center in each set. During set four, Winona took on multiple leads of 18-14 and 22-18 as they began to take the energy out of Upper Iowa. Finalizing the score to 25-19 and marking the fifth-straight Winona State win in a row at home in McCown Gymnasium.  

Madison Larson along with Sidney Paulson led the offense with 13 and 15 kills helping the Warriors take sets from the Peacocks. 

“My goals for this season are to be dominant, a consistent player, and someone who is trusted and will put the ball away in any situation,” Larson said.  

Kylie Welch on defense, came in with 29 digs to lead the team. With a great aptitude for reading the ball, Welch was able to help the Warriors keep the ball in play. Lydia Lange, shut down four hits against the Peacocks.  

The gain of this game puts Winona State 9-7 and 5-4 in NSIC.  

This past weekend, Winona traveled to the University of Minnesota Duluth and St. Cloud State, but unfortunately received two losses.  

During the Duluth match, Winona State had a hard time getting their start in the game as they lost 3-0. The Duluth Bulldogs have been nationally ranked and were on their game as they took three sets from the Warriors.  

Yet again, the next day, they played against St. Cloud another nationally ranked team. Winona State was able to take the first set, 25-21. But as the other sets ran along, the Huskies were able to win three sets against the Warriors leaving the final score, 3-1.   

The Warriors will be back to the McCown Gymnasium on Friday Oct. 14, as they host University of Minnesota Crookston and Bemidji State University on Saturday Oct. 15.