Burlesque in Winona! Burly Bluffs return for “Sexy Spooktacular”

Sophia Sailer

Oct. 28, No Name Bar hosted “Sexy Spooktacular” a 21+ burlesque show which had ten performers stripping to the music in a gratifying and confident production.

Sophia Sailer, Editor-in-Chief

Oct. 28, No Name Bar hosted “Sexy Spooktacular” a 21+ burlesque show put on by the Burly Bluffs production company.

Burly Bluffs, a burlesque organization catering to southern Minnesota, hosts a queer-centered space for specifically southern Minnesota, but also expands to other regions as well.

“Your support for this campaign will also allow us to start creating merch, continue paying our cast & crew equitably and will aid us in making safe, anti-oppressive, queer-centered spaces for everyone to celebrate the arts and have a great time,” Burly Bluffs’ GoFundMe said.

GG Delish and Mona RydeHer, performers and representatives of Burly Bluffs, talk about on the Burly Bluff’s YouTube channel what this organization’s mission is and where and when you can see their shows.

“We (GG Delish and Mona RydeHer) are so excited to present Burly Bluffs -Southeastern Minnesota’s first burlesque production company. Burly Bluffs will expand burlesque performance beyond the Twin Titties, hosting semi-annual burlesque shows in the Driftless Region,” Delish and RydeHer said.

This event hosted ten performers, including Mikko Blaze, Moonboy, GG Delish, Drrrty Dancer, Blair Raven, Señorita Lola, Scarlette Revolver, Victoria Velour, Ostara Reign, La Bízcochita and George (Not So) Straight.

“We have an amazing cast of performers including 3 from the Winona area, 1 from St. Cloud (MN) and 4 from the Twin Cities. Our host for this event will be the one and only Mikko Blaze! This ‘Sexy Spooktacular’ will have a Halloween-themed feel but don’t let that fool you … it will still be HOT, flirty and fun,” Burly Bluff’s GoFundMe said.

“The burlesque show was a worthwhile event and certainly a new experience during my college career. My favorite part was being able to experience the show around friends and in an inclusive environment,” said Alex Wall, a third-year student at University of Wisconsin – La Crosse. (Sophia Sailer)

Before the event, the host of the show, Mikko Blaze, explained burlesque to audience members that were experiencing this type of event for the first time. Blaze explained consent in a sexual performance and how audience members can objectify the performers as much as they want, but touching is still not allowed.

Each performer came out and had a unique performance that catered to their character, stripping to the music in a gratifying and confident production.

Alex Wall, a third-year student studying political science and public administration at University of Wisconsin – La Crosse, who attended the event, spoke about his thoughts on the show.

“The burlesque show was a worthwhile event and certainly a new experience during my college career. My favorite part was being able to experience the show around friends and in an inclusive environment,” Wall said.

Jess Weis, a fourth-year student at Winona State University studying mass communication: public relations with a women’s, gender, and sexuality studies minor who also went to event, talked about her issue with the lack of seating at the event.

“The venue itself was not ideal as most needed to stand. Those who wanted to sit during the event had a difficult time experiencing the show due to the confined dimensions of the venue,” Weis said.

Wall pondered if an event similar to the burlesque event could be held on campus.

“Perhaps an event, such as a costume contest could be held, but an event exactly like this probably should not occur on a college campus. However, with certain guidelines maybe it could be done,” Wall said.

Earlier this year the Burly Bluffs production company also hosted a burlesque show in April, and this time last year, on Oct. 1, 2021, Winona State held their own drag show featuring Morgan McMichaels, a season two contestant for “RuPaul’s Drag Race”. Having events like these in Winona on and off campus helps foster a welcoming space for LGBTQ+ individuals, something that the Burly Bluffs aims to do.