Men’s basketball begins with a win against Saint Mary’s

Second+Year+Devon+Fielding+shooting+a+free+throw.++
Hayley Niewohner
Second Year Devon Fielding shooting a free throw.

The Men’s Basketball game on Sunday, Nov. 5 was a game to remember for players and fans alike. No less than 750 fans showed up to watch the throwdown between Winona State University and Saint Mary’s University at the McCown Gymnasium.

The halftime opinion of one fan sums up the game in one sweet sentiment: “You know, we are moving the ball pretty good. We are going to win by like, 20, honestly!”

A correct prediction as Winona State’s team took the win with a final score of 81-50. Another fan remarked, “The team is playing really well, I’m very proud of them.”

Third year Drew Adams was the game’s highest scorer with twelve points scored, his fellow third year James Kelly coming up a close second at eleven. Fourth year Carson Arens was just as close with a game score of ten points.

Carter Lomas, a fourth year and number 31 on the court, was interviewed just after the game on Sunday afternoon. Lomas recalled starting his basketball career when he was just seven years old and in the second grade. His parents were the ones to sign him up, but he remembers loving the game ever since.

Lomas’s all-time favorite basketball memory dates back to his time as a senior in high school. His team had started the year off rough, and they had had their work cut out for them to secure a strong finish before the rise of COVID-19 ended their season.

He remembers the team pulling together in an incredible way, putting in the effort to crush it on the court. Since he has been playing for WSU – at no fault of the college – he has yet to have another experience of that same caliber.

To Lomas, success in basketball involves more than one person.

“When you break it down, the overall team honestly breaks down more success than any individual,” he said. “What makes a good team is togetherness. It is not all about wins and losses for sure, but how close you are on and off the court.”

During the game on Sunday, it was clear to see that the team has great togetherness both on and off the court.

First year Tyson Keil, a forward for the team, was also interviewed after the game on Sunday. He similarly recalled beginning basketball at eight years old because he wanted to continue his family’s long history of loving the sport and because of his dad’s encouragement.

To Keil, his favorite basketball memory was the game he had just finished playing.

“This one has to be up there,” Keil said. “This is my first college minutes!” He went on to explain that basketball has not been all fun and games for him.

“All the practices, lifting, film watching – it’s so hard to balance academics [and basketball] all at the same time.” The one thing that Keil has found to help him is setting time aside to focus on getting his homework done, so that he can later focus on practice.

With a fantastic start for the team, they move into their regular season with their bags packed and on their way to the University of Arkansas at Monticello on Nov. 10 and Southern Arkansas University on Nov. 11. Before landing back at McCown Gymnasium for four back-to-back home games.