Winona State snags a win in their first conference game

NSIC+Basketball+match+between+Winona+State+and+Concordia+University+at+Winona+on+21st+November.+
Contributed by Connor Dillon
NSIC Basketball match between Winona State and Concordia University at Winona on 21st November.

The Winona State University men’s basketball team kicked off their Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC) in style. They defeated Concordia University, St. Paul with 75 – 69 points at their home ground which would boost them to the second position in the league points table.

The first half of the game started with rebounds from both teams. Concordia State opened the game with the first few points. Winona State started late but a beautiful three-pointer was shot by Connor Drew for their first few points.

Afterwards, Concordia University took the lead at 10-3, putting the host at an early disadvantage until another excellent shot from Drew put the Warriors back into the game.

Concordia State held their lead for most of the first half. The Warriors attempted a comeback to lessen the difference, but nothing was working out. Some good shots were seen from Connor Dillon and Declan Dillon in the points chase, but none were enough to launch them into the lead. The Golden Bears finished the half with 46-45 points.

A comeback from Winona State was seen after the break when Drew managed some helpful rebounds.

When the Warriors were attempting to get the lead, one of their leading attackers of last season, Dillon was struggling to contact the basket. Later on, he assisted Drew in taking the big shots.

“I wasn’t finishing as well as I wanted to,” Dillon said. “But Drew was knocking down shots so getting him the ball was kind of the main goal there.”

The Warriors found their pace when they added another attacker, Devon Fielding in the second half. This young prodigy played for only 15 minutes and managed three rebounds and one three-pointer.

“They need me to find the shot when I get a chance, he said. “And I am always ready for that.”

Winona State has a couple of new faces in their locker room who have yet to come onto the court. They are representative of the team for future matches.

“Right now, we’ve got three freshmen that are redshirted, and so there’s a couple of guys that are suited up that won’t play this year,” head coach Todd Eisner said. “So, they’re just here to get developed, work and practice, work in the weight room, and we’ll see how their games grow over the next year.”

The Warriors began solidifying their lead in the last few minutes of the second half. Quick attacking plays from Fielding, Drew and Dillon gave Winona State the results they would need. The match ended with 75-69 with a Warrior victory.

Winona State finished their last season as second-best at defense. They have since lost a couple of their defensive players and were thought to have their defense broken this season, but this match had shown a completely different story.

Not only has their defense remained strong, but their offensive play has certainly improved as well.

“They are playing great. I am excited to see them grow, and it is a great place to start trying to improve,” former team captain Luke Martin said. “It’s different watching them but I’m happy with what they’re doing.”