President Olson sworn into office

Daniel Cockriel/Winonan

Collaboration and continued student success are key elements to achieving the “Hopes and Dreams” of Winona State University, President Scott Olson said Friday during his inauguration ceremony.

As a mesmerizing melody— provided by the Winona State Orchestra—floated across McCown Gymnasium, it was nearly impossible to ignore the almost tangible sense of transition and excitement in the air for the inauguration of Winona State’s 15th president, Scott Olson.

“I want to know your hopes and dreams. We must all work together to ensure this university, and this community, continue to flourish,” Olson said. “Without hopes and dreams; our lives go nowhere, and together, we achieve nothing. We can’t afford not to hope and dream.”

From the moment Olson entered the gymnasium on Friday, April 19, for the ceremony, his jovial energy and vibrant presence were on display as he mimicked a sprinter on the starting blocks while preparing to be called onstage. He snatched the microphone from the stand and began prowling the stage like a stand-up comedian as he cracked a few jokes to break the ice.

Olson began his address by heaping praise upon the faculty, staff and students of Winona State, having each individual group stand and be recognized by the crowd.

Prior to joining Winona State, Olson—who was raised in suburban Minneapolis—served as vice president for Academic and Student Affairs, Provost and professor of communication studies at Minnesota State University Mankato.

During his tenure at Mankato State, the university experienced significant growth in areas such as enrollment, innovation, diversity and international programs.

Following the testimonials provided prior to his inaugural address, it became even more apparent how highly Olson values the student experience at Winona State.

“I know Scott Olson personally, and I know how much he listens to and cares for students,” Larry Pogemiller, Commissioner of the Minnesota Office of Higher Education, said. “I’m supremely confident President Olson and his staff will guide an already great institution to an even brighter future.”

Another primary focus of Olson’s inaugural platform, apart from improving Winona State, was the continuing increase in student and university involvement in the community.

“I look forward to creating a lasting partnership between this community and this university, to help make both even greater in the future,” Winona Mayor Mark Peterson said. “His enthusiasm and boundless energy will carry this university forward, and with it, this city.”

Mirroring the style of administration he has displayed at Winona State thus far, Olson also directly participated with members of the audience, walking off the stage and into the crowd without the slightest hesitation or second thought.

One of the most poignant moments of Olson’s address came when he revisited a list of hopes and dreams written during the presidency of Darrell Krueger in 1995, which listed goals such as building a university library, and becoming an increasingly technological institution – goals Winona State has since proudly achieved.

Monetary dreams were also shared.

Olson expressed his intention to “remove affordability as a barrier” and improve the ability of less fortunate students to arrive at Winona State.

“It is my hope that each student will come to Winona as pilgrims, and leave as warriors,” Olson said.

Acknowledging the current period of transition for Winona State, Olson provided a simple, yet striking metaphor to be remembered as the university moves forward: “Knowledge is like a river; powerful, timeless, yet new.”

Contact Daniel at [email protected]